Colt Trooper Mark V

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I bought my first revolver, a GP100 Wiley Clapp. Since then, my GAS has started flaring up again, and today I'm the proud owner of a Colt Trooper. It's in very good condition with a little holster wear around the muzzle and a couple of light scratches on the side plate. Didn't come with any box or papers, so right now I'm looking for any info or resources I can find since I know nothing about Colt revolvers. Also trying to find a gunsmith in the Tulsa area who is good with Colts, just in case I need something checked out.

I'll try to attach pics below, but I have a few questions maybe ya'll can help me out with.

First, I noticed that a screw on the right side, just below the front of the cylinder, was loose. I snugged it up but didn't really apply much pressure for fear of screwing it up. Any idea what that screw is for? Would it be okay to back it out just a bit and apply a touch of Loctite before re-tightening?

Also, I already mentioned some scratches on the finish. I don't really mind them, but they are one of the first things I look at when I pick it up. Can scratches on a blued finish be repaired without completely refinishing? I'm gonna shoot this gun, but I don't want to diminish its value by trying to fix a problem and just making it worse.

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 135
  • photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The screw that you mentioned is the yoke/crane screw. To remove the crane from the frame you remove that screw first then pull back on the cylinder latch and swing the cylinder out. Once this is done, you can then push the crane out of the frame.

Hope this helps.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can scratches on a blued finish be repaired without completely refinishing? I'm gonna shoot this gun, but I don't want to diminish its value by trying to fix a problem and just making it worse.

You might be able to touch up the scratches with cold blue. But that may harm the value.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The screw that you mentioned is the yoke/crane screw. To remove the crane from the frame you remove that screw first then pull back on the cylinder latch and swing the cylinder out. Once this is done, you can then push the crane out of the frame.

Hope this helps.

That helps a lot. Next time I have it out, I'll remove the screw and put a dab of blue loctite on it. Same with the ejector rod.

Latest posts

Top Bottom