Gunkote / Cerakote affect value?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deacon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know a guy (we all do) that does coatings and I had been thinking about getting an AR and a pistol coated in FDE. The pistol is a BERETTA M9A1.

I get on google to search and see how it would look and I can't find a SINGLE IMAGE of a 92 that's been coated.

Has anyone here done this or have a pic? Do you think it would negatively affect the value of the firearm in the future? I don't plan on selling it, but I don't want to "smear crap on a white horse" either.

opinions?

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would think that it depended on the potential buyer. He/she may have been drawn to it because of the coating. Others may steer clear of it thinking it was "flawed" hence the coating. To others, it may not matter much.

It's kinda like fancy engravings and PD marked commemoratives. If a guy from Texas has a revolver engraved with all kinds of Texas Ranger ********, it might appeal to another Texan. But somebody from Oklahoma couldn't care two shakes about it.

I used to think that if a gun gets a little wear on it, it needed refinished. As I've gotten older, I realize that a gun with lots of wear just shows "character" and lots of use, which is a sign of good training.

Remember the old saying; Beware of the man with just one gun. He probably knows how to use it. :thumb:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
GED, I've gotten where I think more or less the same, but sometimes the coating can serve a purpose. IE, I'm thinking about getting my 700 cerakoted at some point, because the matte blueing is rather less that durable. But not just for looks.

OP, unless your friend is doing this for next to nothing, I would doubt you would get what you pay for the Cerakote in additional value. I wouldn't think adding the Cerakote to it just for added value to sell the gun will improve your outlook on the gun.

I personally would feel bad profiting off something a friend did cheap anyways.

Now if you're considering doing this for yourself, and wondering what it would do to value "someday," then do it. It won't *hurt* the value of the gun, and if you want it now, go for it.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just picked up RobC's old M9 and was thinking the exact same thing (Only either FDE or OD, possibly going back to black - can't decide).

I was considering duracoat or Cerakote.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would think that it depended on the potential buyer. He/she may have been drawn to it because of the coating. Others may steer clear of it thinking it was "flawed" hence the coating. To others, it may not matter much.

It's kinda like fancy engravings and PD marked commemoratives. If a guy from Texas has a revolver engraved with all kinds of Texas Ranger ********, it might appeal to another Texan. But somebody from Oklahoma couldn't care two shakes about it.

I used to think that if a gun gets a little wear on it, it needed refinished. As I've gotten older, I realize that a gun with lots of wear just shows "character" and lots of use, which is a sign of good training.

Remember the old saying; Beware of the man with just one gun. He probably knows how to use it. :thumb:

What he said.. It's kinda like us old guys, we get scars and scrapes and various marks and such and it just shows "character" .. and lots of use.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Many gun manufacturers use cerakote (some crappily, I might add) as an OEM finish.

heres a few pics

OD Green/ Black
ai25.photobucket.com_albums_c74_olyeller14_ODBERETTA1.jpg

ai25.photobucket.com_albums_c74_olyeller14_ODBERETTA2.jpg

ai25.photobucket.com_albums_c74_olyeller14_ODBERETTA3.jpg

FDE/Black

ai25.photobucket.com_albums_c74_olyeller14_berettas_berettarefinish1.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom