Taurus The Judge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

microsoftisevil

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did some shooting at my parents farm this weekend. My dad recently got The Judge in 3" chamber, stainless. In case you haven't seen it, it is a revolver that shoots either .45 long colt or 410 shotgun shells.

I shot some 410 #6 3" shells. They really spread out fast. This might be good for snakes, but The Judge is probably not best suited for CCW, at least with 410 shells. The thing is huge too.

Fit and finish was good. Sights are really easy to see as they are fiber optic.

It had some trouble cycling more than about 2 or 3 410 shells and tended to hang up. My dad doesn't really mind though since he got it primarily for carrying around with checking his cattle. He said he loads 2 410 shells first, and the rest .45 and it cycles without problems. We have a lot of copperheads at my parents farm in Missouri.

I had a little trouble with grouping the .45s. Could have just been me though. The recoil was not bad, even with the 410 3" shells. It has a really nice grip.

All in all, I'd say its a neat gun to have. It's best suited for shooting at snakes and small critters, which is exactly what my dad needs it for. As far as a CCW gun, it's a real hand cannon and would probably annoy me if I tried to carry it for very long. I was thinking about getting one, but since I live in Owasso now, I just really wouldn't have much use for it since all I do is punch holes in paper. It would be handy to have on the trail though. Hope this helps anyone that is thinking about getting one. I doubt you would be let down so long as you realize that it is what it is.

azmrb

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I agree with you about it being a poor choice for CCW purposes.
There are lots of handguns I would prefer to carry over the judge.

I do think it might be a good tackle box or boat gun though that could give you some effective shot patterns on snakes and the like while still giving you the option of .45LC for defensive purposes.

I suppose it could also make a viable defensive handgun for use in an apartment where overpenetration is a concern, loaded with buck.

kcatto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 45LC and a 454casull both of which I just make my own shot shells for...

They are smaller than the judge and work great for snakes and such....

leadfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. The Judge is not the best carry gun. It would be useful while in the woods to defend against snakes and such. Federal has a coulpe of shot shells made specifically for pistols. You might try them and see if they pattern better. I don't own a Judge, but have shot some of my friends.

T-Baggin98

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like them. A guy we used to do business with got one for a farm gun. Anyways, one day he was out checking his cattle with his son and some other various family members. I dont know what holster he was using but I guess it didnt work. He had taken the judge out and when he went to reholster it, it somehow pulled the hammer with a 410 shell in it. It only hit his finger, it didnt take it off but it degloved it. He came by the shop a few days later and showed us and it sure didnt look like it tickled much.

He let me shoot it for a while and I put alot of both .45 LC and 410 with no problems. I would like to have one but I doubt Ill ever just go out and buy one unless I will a lot of money or somethin.

microsoftisevil

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like them. A guy we used to do business with got one for a farm gun. Anyways, one day he was out checking his cattle with his son and some other various family members. I dont know what holster he was using but I guess it didnt work. He had taken the judge out and when he went to reholster it, it somehow pulled the hammer with a 410 shell in it. It only hit his finger, it didnt take it off but it degloved it. He came by the shop a few days later and showed us and it sure didnt look like it tickled much.

He let me shoot it for a while and I put alot of both .45 LC and 410 with no problems. I would like to have one but I doubt Ill ever just go out and buy one unless I will a lot of money or somethin.

Dang. That is lucky that it didn't do more damage. I wonder how he managed to get a finger with it. The Judge looks like it has a transfer bar, so he musta somehow had the trigger pulled back when the hammer went down. Goes to show that if you let your guard down, things can go bad in a hurry. Makes it even worse his family was there when it happened. Doubt he will ever live that down. "Hey, remember that time you shot the skin off your finger?"

kcatto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have tested and played with lots of designs and stuff....
Of course you can order the shot tops from speer and load them up like the real popular .38 special and .22mag shot shells... these are the only ones I have used in the 45LC

But for the .454casull, I have also ordered the Russian brass .410 rounds from midway and trim them down to fit the cylinder and then use a gas check turned around so the cap is facing inward and use them that way...

as well I have taken regular .410 rounds and cut them short and used a cardboard to re-cover the end creating a small shot shell... Used a small amount of poly-fill for wading.... these I have only used in my 454 casull.... but they work great....

These also work good in my puma mod 92 lever action in .454casull/45lc carbine.... used them last winter for rabbit hunting...

That is about it...be extremely careful anytime you reload or make any ammo for your guns...

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it would be a fun gun just to shoot - I think I've been conviced that it is not the greatest in self-defense guns. But I would love to spend the day shooting junk with it!

kcatto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I cannot remember who make it but there is a company that makes a self defense round for these .410 handguns....

they use multi caliber balls in a media and it makes one heck of a hole in 3/4 inch plywood...

I will see if I can find that ammo....