About the matches at Heartland:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcgee10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been in contact with DavidE and he has relayed a message from the owner of Heartland. I have added a commentary to the email. Just thought you people should know who you are supporting with your money when you buy from Heartland.

David,

A man I have never met brings envelopes of cash to my store for 3 plus years where I have never known about it nor met with him and we give him a key to the place to come and go unattended. Could you live with that? WOW!

-HE DID MEET DAVID. FIRST AT THE “GRAND OPENING.” I INTRODUCED THE TWO. FORMER MANAGER, TODD SORTER, SAYS HE SPOKE TO BARRY ABOUT THE MATCHES "MANY TIMES." ALSO DAVID WAS IN TALKS WITH THE NEW MANAGEMENT AS TO CUT DOWN THE NUMBER OF CERTS OR INCREASE THE FEES.

-DAVID WAS AN EMPLOYEE AT HO, AND SAID THAT IN THE FIRST EMAIL TO BARRY. HE DIDN'T GET A KEY UNTIL HE STARTED WORKING THERE IN 2013. (PERSONALLY GIVEN TO HIM BY BOTH THE PAST AND PRESENT MANAGERS) BARRY'S CONSTANT PORTRAYAL OF A NON-EMPLOYEE HAVING A KEY FOR THREE YEARS IS AN INTENTIONAL LIE.

I am told for example that approximately 200.00 is generated every Sunday night and that Heartland in turn gives out gift certificates for an equal amount which would mean with our store average for comparison 30% of 200.00 = 60.00 profit.

Put yourself in my place and try to figure out how to pay the ac bill on Sunday nights with $ 60.00. Did you know it costs $ 9,000.00 per year to keep the filters changed?

-MAJOR CONCERNS ABOUT NOT MAKING ENOUGH MONEY FROM THE MATCHES, BUT NOW HE DOESN'T CARE IF THE MATCHES MAKE A DIME?-

Put yourself in my place and try to live with the store which has a million dollar plus inventory being turned over to STRANGERS on a Sunday night with free reign. With inventory missing on a daily basis who shall I blame, the clients, the employees, or perhaps you or your group. You tell me.

-STRANGERS THAT HE THINKS STEAL FROM HIM! HE SURE HAS A HIGH REGARD FOR THE MATCH SHOOTERS, DOESN'T HE? DAVID STAUNCHLY DEFENDED HIS SHOOTERS IN A FOLLOW-UP EMAIL REFUTING BARRY'S RECKLESS CHARGE. (ITS INTERESTING HOW MANY OF THESE SAME SHOOTERS HAVE RABIDLY TURNED ON DAVID...PERHAPS HIS DEFENSE OF THEM WAS UNWARRANTED -)

Put yourself in my place and try to live with the liability of someone getting hurt in your store on a Sunday night with NO Heartland employee or management on the premises.

-DAVID WAS AN EMPLOYEE! IF THAT WASN'T SUFFICIENT, THEN PAY ANOTHER EMPLOYEE TO STAY! DAVID WAS NOT A MANAGER WITH THE POWER TO SEND EMPLOYEES HOME, OR TO GET THEM TO STAY-

That same lady or gentleman that enjoyed (our range) for free will go straight to the attorney's office as soon as they leave the emergency room.

-THERE'S THAT "HIGH REGARD" AGAIN. -

In your case or with past management these liabilities are not and were not considered and yet are paramount as well as frightening to me.

-THEY ARE PARAMOUNT AND THEY FRIGHTEN HIM, BUT NOW, THESE LIABILITIES DON'T MATTER? WHAT CHANGED?-

I am also told these shooters love us, have a good time, and never come back and purchase anything.

-DAVID ADVISED BARRY THAT HE'D PERSONALLY BROUGHT IN OVER $50,000 TO HEARTLANDS COFFERS.
EVEN THOUGH DAVID GAVE MULTIPLE SPECIFIC EXAMPLES, HE STILL SAYS THIS.

Sorry if I seem to have an attitude but in my world and in regards to the 50,000.00 to Heartland in 3 plus years I am like Shania Twain and that don't impress me much.

-REALLY? -

I know most of the high end clients personally that provide TRUE support to Heartland and I can tell you that the least of the 5 spends more than 50k per year.

-TRANSLATION: IF YOU DON'T SPEND AT OVER $50,000 PER YEAR IN MY STORE, YOU LEECHING PEONS DON'T COUNT!-

So pardon me if I don't open my doors on Sunday night FOR FREE AND EXPOSE MYSELF TO THE LIABILITY SO THAT YOU CAN ALL ENJOY THE AMENITIES AT MY EXPENSE.

Kindest regards,
Barry Bryant

WE SHOOTERS WERE NOT DIRECTLY TOLD THE MATCHES WERE CANCELLED UNTIL THE DAY BEFORE THE MATCH WAS TO HAPPEN. I FEEL IT IS CLEAR MR. BRYANT WAS FRIGHTENED ABOUT THE LIABILITY AND LACK OF PROFIT. DAVID WAS CONCERNED THE MATCHES WOULD NOT CONTINUE AT ALL.

NO MENTION ABOUT THE UNLOCKED DOOR, (EVERYTHING ELSE WAS SECURED, THE INVENTORY WAS SAFE). JUST CONCERNS ABOUT NO PROFIT, THEFT, THE LIABILITY IF SOMEONE GOT HURT AT THE MATCH AND THE LAWSUIT HE WAS CERTAIN WOULD FOLLOW.

CLEARLY, HE HAD NO INTENTION OF CONTINUING THESE MATCHES. DAVID REACTED, IF INELOQUENTLY, TO THE EXTREME SHORT NOTICE GIVEN THAT THE MATCHES WERE CANCELLED, BARRY'S CHARACTERIZATION OF THE SHOOTERS AS THIEVES WHO WERE EAGER TO SUE AND THE ALOOF DISMISSAL OF 10's of 1000's OF DOLLARS THE MATCHES & SHOOTERS BROUGHT INTO THE STORE.
DAVID'S EMAIL CAMPAIGN WORKED TOO WELL. BARRY KNEW HE'D LOSE THE "UNIMPRESSIVE" 10's of 1000's OF DOLLARS UNLESS HE SAID THE MATCHES WOULD CONTINUE. THEN, LIKE THAT, HO PAINTED THE STORY OF A SIMPLE FALLING OUT WITH THE MATCH DIRECTOR, BUT THAT HO WOULD STILL TAKE CARE IF IT’S CUSTOMERS. FOLKS LAPPED UP THIS STORY WITHOUT HESITATION, QUESTION OR REGARD FOR THE MATCH DIRECTOR WHO'D ALWAYS BEEN THERE FOR THEM, 2-3 TIMES A MONTH FOR OVER 3 YEARS.

-BUT NOW IT'LL BE OK?

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can understand worries on the owners side of things and I can understand the frustration of the match shooters. If you have held matches for three years then you have had multiple opportunities to evaluate their continuance and if they were losing money that would have been early on, so my guess is that money was made and the cost was negligible. I also figure that the people shooting there were not stealing and probably spent money at other times so there was a profit. . . sponsoring something generally isn't about profit but getting the word out. I do the same thing for a website or two myself.

Giving some notice would have been good etiquette if all that this was based on was loss of money etc. It's another thing when someone is sick or injured and it just can't be held.

The first time I went to Heartland was 3 or 4 years ago and it looked very nice, new clean. Went over there a few months ago and it had gotten a messed/cluttered feel. Inquired about the sda class and was referred to the website to check on an available date, looked into the classroom and saw boxes/trash/clutter everywhere and decided against it.

While I understand that things get pushed on to the back burner at times it seems unprofessional to have it look bad and leave a door open especially since they supposedly have multiple classes each week. That tells me you either sit in a small classroom and contend with boxes or have employees who are moving them around constantly. I decided to drive a little farther and enjoyed my class thoroughly.

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look I agree that HO is a bit stuck up about there store. But, the owners can and will do what they want with it. In todays law suit happy world you can't be too cautious. Maybe have everyone sign a release of liability and such. But I agree. Hash it out with him, not in public.

Latest posts

Top Bottom