Where can I find 410 ammo???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those boxes say Cheddite which I assume are the primers. There are lots of shotgun forums that say the primers are hard and can damage your firing pin. Probably not an issue if you shoot a few, but I wouldn't risk it if I were shooting a 410 that was worth a lot of money. Winchester 42, O/U or S/S.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those boxes say Cheddite which I assume are the primers. There are lots of shotgun forums that say the primers are hard and can damage your firing pin. Probably not an issue if you shoot a few, but I wouldn't risk it if I were shooting a 410 that was worth a lot of money. Winchester 42, O/U or S/S.
I’ve been looking to buy more 209 primers and have been researching cheddites since that seems to be all that’s available. There’s a lot conflicting information on the internet about them.
I would take the hardness claim with a grain of salt unless you’ve personally broke a firing pin. I’ve seen other claims that say they’re soft and easily punctured by a firing pin. Some people say they’re oversized compared to Win 209’s. Others say that’s old info, and the new ones are “standard” size.
I guess I’m going to just buy a few to try.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The reports I’ve seen on Cheddite primers is that the firing pin can pierce them. Personally, I’ve loaded over 10K Cheddite primers in my reloads during the past 2 years. I have only seen 1 that was pierced. It was a 28g shell.

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been looking to buy more 209 primers and have been researching cheddites since that seems to be all that’s available. There’s a lot conflicting information on the internet about them.
I would take the hardness claim with a grain of salt unless you’ve personally broke a firing pin. I’ve seen other claims that say they’re soft and easily punctured by a firing pin. Some people say they’re oversized compared to Win 209’s. Others say that’s old info, and the new ones are “standard” size.
I guess I’m going to just buy a few to try.
I agree, there isn't a consensus. It's like the Glock/Sig comparison on this site. I'd rather have some if that's all I could find vs. not having any.

Latest posts

Top Bottom