Book on WW2 tanks/tank battles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Looking for a book about WW2 tank battles. Would like a narrative style book, first hand accounts are always best.

Would be interested in any "side" per say, but especially the American or German perspective. I have an uncle who was an M4 driver/gunner/commander and sadly he passed away well before I was old enough to talk to him about anything.

porscheman2944

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a book written by a vet that he gave me here in Tulsa. He was in one of the first american tank divisions and had actually met Patton on a few occasions. It was a great book but I will have to dig around to find it to get the title.

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

corwin1968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deathtraps was a fascinating book. It might not be exactly what you are looking for but it provides a very unique perspective into WWII tank combat. The author was an ordnance officer, which seems to have been a very elite group, and his primary responsibility was to compile a daily list of tanks that were lost and to arrange for replacement tanks, which always came 48 hours later. He is a trained engineer and goes into great detail about the capabilities of specific tanks, battle damage, and the decision on whether a tank's chassis, turret or both can be repaired or need to cannibalized for spare parts. The book is not nearly as dry as I've made it sound and it's something I've reread several times. I forgot to mention that every night he and a driver made a jeep run thru the no-man's land between the advance U.S. elements and the rear echelons to get the day's replacement tanks. There were often Germans who had been bypassed in the initial thrust so they were in constant danger of being killed or captured. Once, while leading 17 Shermans back to his division, he encountered a General who basically put him in charge of the "task force" he was leading! Fortunately, the situation turned out okay for them.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is one of the most chilling images I've ever seen:

s15.postimg.org_477ler8p7_IMG_6595.jpg

corwin1968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to work with a guy whose dad was a tank commander under Patton in World War Two. He said his dad didn't talk about the war much but he did say that after his third tank was shot out from under him, he refused to get back into a tank. They made him a jeep driver for the remainder of the war.

Latest posts

Top Bottom