‘Liberal’ College Students Suddenly Revolt Against Obamacare-Like Health Fees

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
... just another of the gotchas ...

H&R Block: Half of Those With Obamacare Subsidies May Owe IRS

The Affordable Care Act's requirement that most Americans carry health insurance means that tax filers have to tell the U.S. government whether they had coverage in 2014 and whether they received Obamacare subsidies to help pay for it.

According to the Wall Street Journal, many of the subsidy recipients could be in for an unpleasant surprise. Millions of them will be getting smaller tax refunds than they had expected or finding out that they owe the IRS because the subsidies they received to offset their Obamacare premiums turned out to be too generous.

According to an estimate by the tax firm H&R Block, as many as half of the 6.8 million Americans who received subsidies "may have to refund money to the government," the Journal reports.

TANSTAAFL

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just wait till the "employer mandate" hits home....

Should be in time for the next pres election.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way I read it there wasn't any warning or notice of the possibility (other than perhaps buried in the thousands of pages of the act or the IRS code).
It's based on income. If an individual enters an income that is lower than it actually is, thus receiving govt. subsidy he/she shouldn't have, then he/she should be responsible for the difference and pay it back. I mean, this is actually a conservative idea (i.e., don't give taxpayers' money to those that don't need it). If anyone could just enter a small income, and receive govt. subsidy, then guess what will happen. This is a system set up to protect taxpayers' money and ensure subsidy only goes to those that need it. What am I missing here? Should nobody check the actual income at the end of the year for discrepancies that we as taxpayers have to cover?

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way I read it there wasn't any warning or notice of the possibility (other than perhaps buried in the thousands of pages of the act or the IRS code).

It's based on income. If an individual enters an income that is lower than it actually is, thus receiving govt. subsidy he/she shouldn't have, then he/she should be responsible for the difference and pay it back. I mean, this is actually a conservative idea (i.e., don't give taxpayers' money to those that don't need it). If anyone could just enter a small income, and receive govt. subsidy, then guess what will happen. This is a system set up to protect taxpayers' money and ensure subsidy only goes to those that need it. What am I missing here? Should nobody check the actual income at the end of the year for discrepancies that we as taxpayers have to cover?

Oh, it's just fine and dandy - personally I think they should also be charged interest at whatever the average credit card rate is. But it's also still something else that wasn't explained to people up front - and I'm sure none of them would have taken it to begin with if they'd known it was more than their fair share.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I understand it, (its been kept under the radar by the lame street media) the west coast stevedore shut down that has backed up cargo ships as far as the eye and radar can see is because of obamacare, and how its going to affect the union dock workers.

Obama's reps are on the scene this week, so it will all be swept under the table.

Latest posts

Top Bottom