“Shoot to Wound” vs. “Shoot to Stop” vs. “Shoot to Kill.”

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would you do?

• Shoot to Kill

Votes: 47 42.7%
  • Shoot to Stop

Votes: 60 54.5%
  • Shoot to Wound

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shoot to Disarm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no opinion I would like to voice.

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it was Ayoob who said you shoot until they stop doing whatever it was that caused you to start shooting in the first place.

I don't carry a gun to kill people, I carry a gun to protect my life, and the lives of those I care about. Drawing my gun may be all the is ever necessary, that has happened once in my life so far. If drawing and shooting becomes necessary at some point, I don't hope my actions kill or wound another person, I hope my actions protect myself and those I care about. That doesn't mean I am scared to "have to shoot someone" it means be warned, I will go to whatever length is made necessary by the actions of another to defend what is precious to me.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

What Ayoob said here does not always work. If some one breaks into your house with a knife in the dark of night that is reason enough to shoot them. If they are laying on your floor dead they are still in your house with a knife. Shooting them more won't change that even though that is the reason you shot them. There still needs to be a point where you decide the threat has ended.

If you say you are shooting to stop by aiming at the heart lung area it is the same action as saying you are shooting to kill and aiming at the heart lung area. The only difference is how you say it and not how you do it.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So when you're sitting in front of the grand jury and the DA asks you the question "Did you shoot to kill him?" How are you gonna answer that?
He already answered that "to wound because everybody deserves a second chance."

If I were in his position, I'd say " I only meant to hurt his feelings" I meant to insult him and send him slincking away in shame. Sadder but wiser.
I carry a gun to enlighten people. To get them in touch with their feeewings.

reade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shoot until the threat is no longer a threat, center mass. Courtesy of TDSA

When I opened this thread that was my exact thought. If you have time to analyze the situation and decide on one of the mentioned options it could be argued you has enough time to not be involved. If you have to shoot, shoot center mass until there's no longer a threat.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe not completely relevant, but I work at home and have a Walther PPQ BB Gun (laser equipped) at easy reach. When I see squirrels eating the seed we put out for the songbirds, I go into action. (This morning, before 9:15, I engaged several squirrels and went 3 for 5.) In this case, I shoot to wound, not kill. My laser lets me put a BB on a squirrel tail and this gets them running quite effectively.

With my CCW 9mm Nano and human threats, I have a different defense philosophy.

9:27am Update: 4 for 6.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not going to pretend that I am some sort of badass who can make my wounds do something different given the situation. If I have to draw my firearm and fire, you can bet that it will be to make whatever it is that is threatening me dead.

There's no room for ambiguity.

Latest posts

Top Bottom