‘Stand your ground’ law protects shooter in deadly fight over parking space: sheriff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think he's toast. The second he pulled the gun out and aimed the other guy reflexively stepped back. Even started to turn and walk away. IDK, gonna be a tough sell to the jury.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The people here talking about the parking space being worth someone's life aren't getting it. It is not about the parking space. It is about the escalation of force and the physical forced touching defined as battery used against the "older man". Now, having these facts in mind, is the "older man" now in fear of his life or great bodily harm? That... is the question.

Seeing that the force used against him stopped, and the possible turning to flee of the young guy, I don't think the gun fire was necessary. If the force was to continue or he was being threatened, then that is another story.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
with only the silent video to go on, I would say this is an example of people carrying guns resulting in unnecessary death.
If the old guy hadn't had a gun, it would have possibly stopped with him being pushed to the ground.
I realize we don't know if the big guy was getting worked up and saying he's going to kick the poop out of the old guy, that would change it.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After the big guy pushed the old man down he then hitched his baggy pants up and took 2 steps forward as if he was going to continue with a beating. He then saw the old man's gun he was going for. Then and only then did he start backing up. In my opinion the old man was to slow drawing his weapon giving the big guy the chance to take enough steps backwards to make shooting him unnecessary. In my opinion the old man was too slow on the draw.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After the big guy pushed the old man down he then hitched his baggy pants up and took 2 steps forward as if he was going to continue with a beating. He then saw the old man's gun he was going for. Then and only then did he start backing up. In my opinion the old man was to slow drawing his weapon giving the big guy the chance to take enough steps backwards to make shooting him unnecessary. In my opinion the old man was too slow on the draw.

Slow to react too. If you’re truly in fear for your life due to a significant physical disparity between you and your attacker, how easy is it to stop fearing for your life when your attacker backs off?

I hate MMQB’ing these types of events because it’s tough to know what’s in a person’s mind when it happens and whether those thoughts are reasonable. It’s just a soup sandwich all around. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom