‘Stand your ground’ law protects shooter in deadly fight over parking space: sheriff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken, the 21-foot rule applies to a holstered firearm. The shooter had his pistol drawn and pointed at the guy he ended up shooting.

Bottom line, the shooter could have said something to the woman in the car, then walked inside to complain instead of continuing to argue with her. Whatever was said was enough to get two people pausing in the video to see what was going on, and someone alerting the store employees. The shooter could simply have walked away - especially since he was armed. As others have said, a person going CC has to mind his or her P’s and Q’s more so than an unarmed person.

Yes, the shooter could have walked away, right up to the time McGlockton assaulted him...

I'm not saying that confronting the woman about parking in a handicap spot was a smart thing to do, but the shooter had committed no crime and had hurt no one. The shooter may have been a parking lot nazi, he may have argued with the woman, but neither of those things are illegal and are completely separate from the assault and the shooting........unless you believe that the shooter deserved to be assaulted?? Nothing the shooter had done justifies the assault and the assault was the reason for the shooting.

As far as "minding your P's and Q's" more when carrying.......I disagree......you should treat people with respect regardless of whether you are armed.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The shooter should have been aware that, even if he wasn’t doing anything illegal, he was escalating the situation by continuing to argue with the woman. He could have made his point, walked away knowing he didn’t need to be obnoxious about it, and if it still bothered him, complained to the store employees. Having a CCW should have made him more cognizant of the need to avoid confrontation. The guy in the video doing an analysis of the shooting says so, in more eloquent terms.

Did he deserve to be assaulted? No. Could he have avoided the situation by refusing to escalate matters? Yes. Could he have, once he pulled his pistol, refrained from pulling the trigger, especially since he paused several seconds before doing so? With the guy stepping back? Definitely yes.

Now I’m not saying anyone was in the right. Rather, as I mentioned in my first post in this thread, there was wrong all around, and the shooter started it all, IMHO.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, the shooter could have walked away; and the wife now lives with the fact her husband is dead because she was a parking lot bi**h and had to park in a handicapped spot when other spots were available. And my guess is she probably wasn't very apologetic when the old guy approached her.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't park in handicapped spaces if your boyfriend thinks he's a badass. If you're worried about your badass boyfriend dying, move your car out of the handicap spot when some ol boy points out your mistake.
There's lots of ways the dead guy could still be alive. I am not a fan of suppressing people's freedom of speech to avoid confrontation and it's sad that a person can lose so much even if they are in the right legally.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not in my mind. Had the person who assaulted me then jumped on top of me and started beating me senseless, hitting my head on the pavement or pulling a weapon? Sure. Just shoving me to the he ground and standing above me is not grounds for deadly force. Again, IMO. :(
We don't know what he said after the assault, and he was within the 15' that LEO use for a justified shooting with a knife looking like he was moving forward until the gun was presented, then backing up. At that point I would have not shot.
Yeah, a knife isn't in consideration, but doesn't LEO consider that 15' to be an area when attacked to respond with force?
Did he tell the guy he was getting ready to kick his teeth in, or stomp him? We don't know with the video.
Perhaps the sheriff had other witnesses?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Geez, if some of you guys think a man who is 47 years old is an “old guy,” then what’s a middle-aged guy? Someone around 30 years of age?
There are different levels of 47 years old. Some have severe medical handicaps. Some mid 60's may be in better health than some 47year olds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom