03-A3 extractor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For you 03-A3 gurus ... the extractor on my 03-A3 has a hole in it very near the front of the extractor. I wondered why somebody would do that, and it seemed to me that created a weak spot, just begging for failure. So, I searched online for a replacement and, lo and behold, one site lists two different ones, extractor and extractor "with hole." Were they manufactured both ways? If so, why? What's the reasoning behind it? Thanks!

View attachment 48265

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, fellas! That was my only guess, and I certainly wasn't sure of that. Was there any issue with them breaking? Should I replace it with the later version?

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, fellas! That was my only guess, and I certainly wasn't sure of that. Was there any issue with them breaking? Should I replace it with the later version?

I have not ever read of a single instance where the gas port extractors were any more prone to being damaged. IMHO, the main concern should be how a pre-Hatcher hole extractor ended up on an 03A3. Either it was installed on the bolt body during rebuild (possible) or the rifle has been assembled as a parts gun. If the later is the case, I would double check the bolt body to make sure that it is one that was produced during the improved heat treatment era. If the bolt handle is turned down straight I would seriously consider replacing it. If it is slightly swept back to the rear, you are good to go. It is isn't mentioned often, but early bolts are prone to the same catastrophic failures as the low number receivers due to the heat treatment process.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any visible markings on the bolt body or underside of the handle? I believe that the bolts will typically be marked on the rear locking lug, or on the root (underside) or top of the bolt handle.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. "R" on the underside of the bolt and on the cocking piece. Receiver is a Remington.

View attachment 48277View attachment 48278

R on root of bolt handle = WWII era Remington...you're good to go.

Any evidence of a scope being mounted? The safety is a commercial low profile version that you will normally see installed in order to clear the eyepiece of a scope.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any evidence of a scope being mounted? The safety is a commercial low profile version that you will normally see installed in order to clear the eyepiece of a scope.

Yeah, that's another issue. Somebody really buggered this thing up. They CUT OFF the rear bridge so they could mount an aperture sight (the WRONG one). I got a side mount with the rifle. I guess the only option is to use the side mount to install a scope. If they had only bought the correct aperture sight it would have easily installed with no modification, but NO!!!!!!....

You have been a world of help with this. Thanks a million!

Don

Latest posts

Top Bottom