06 Chevy transmission issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have an 06 Z71. My neighbor asked to borrow it to get a pallet of sod. When he goes to back up his driveway,which is a little steep, it starts to slip and grind a little. I was at my MIL's in his car so I come home and he said it wouldn't go forward or reverse. I get in it and it shifts to drive just fine and I drive to my house a couple doors away. I try to back out and it just slips and grinds with me too. I climbed under it to look for anything out of the usual but see nothing. I check the fluid and it looks fine. I come in the house to do some googlefu and see it's an issue on some forums. i go back outside after a while and it acts normal like nothing ever happened.
It almost acted like the gear just didn't make the full move to contact but finally settled in place?
So, is a rebuild in my future or is it a solinoid or something. Transmissions aren't my thing and have been lucky in life so far as to never needed one replaced

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's definitely getting serviced Monday. It seems to be kind of slow going into reverse. I've just been giving it a second to slip in but my neighbor prolly threw it in to R and hit the gas.

travisstorma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Automatic transmissions don't move gears like manuals. They use bands / clutches to hold or allow parts to spin, so grinding would be worrisome.

I'm assuming it is a 4 speed auto (4l60[65]e) transmission. Those are fairly notorious for sprag and sun shell failures. Sun shell would be loss of reverse, 2nd and 4th.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was using the analogy like missing a shift and the gear tips grinding/clicking. It almost sounded like it was coming from the transfer case or towards the back of the trans.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fluid looked fine but I'm going to have it serviced anyway. I'm a little hesitant because I've heard that servicing one that hasn't had regular service can show signs of failure shortly afterwards. That may be because they weren't serviced until the owner suspected something or what. Still going to have it done and see what happens.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know how many miles were on it, but from what I've read from 180k+ alot of those transmissions require a rebuild. Mine is at 260k and I've had the occasional half-second slippage or so since about... 160k. So the last 100k or so, I've been crossing my fingers. I need a top-end motor rebuild first, hopefully this summer, then I'll be getting ready for a trans rebuild or swap. My problem is pretty rare, but I know it's there, so I've serviced it a couple times and tried to baby it as much as I can.

Latest posts

Top Bottom