10/22 stock project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had an old stock laying that was my test stock for the stock I did up for my wife and tried my hand at chopping it up. I did copy some design parts off a thread in rimfire central. This is all done with a coping saw, a hand saw, rasps and sandpaper. I cut the nose off where the barrel band went, slant cut that area, skeleton ised the lop area, added a spot for my hand, and rounded and smoothed everythingSo far what I have left to do is shape the hand groove a little more, clean up the last of the rasp marks, round out the nose just a tad and refinish it. Before I put a color on it Im going to try to bleach the wood so the color will pop a little more I'm leaning towards a red or maybe a grey, but I may go crazy and do it up in a bright green. One other thing I may try is to make a cheek riser that I can remove if need be.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
looks good daniel, i mess around with a couple stocks also. do you mind if i post a pic here in your thread? maybe we can all share some ideas for factory stock mods

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
BTW, I really dig the skeleton look Daniel. With factory stocks everywhere, you can pick up a few and play with them. Ebay has plenty in the $15 range.
At work we have a giant belt sander so I turn the forearm down eliminating the barrel band. I also round the sharp shoulder on the top of the butt. I like to take a little mass out of the grip area as well. The last one I did, I really turned it down to a pencil forearm and made the grip real skinny for my wife and daughter. This one I did for myself and left a little meat on it. One more thing, i have yet to do one that I got rid of the barrel band and not had the accuracy improve greatly.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks!

You can see it in the picture but the top hole for mounting the plate is really deep so I'm going to need to fill that in and possibly get a shorter screw.

Darren that looks great, I am limited by hand tools and a ryobi disk sander and a Dremel, but since it's done by hand it's easy to control and I don't have to worry about talking too much off.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Little update: I worked on the hand rest, rounded out the nose of it and sanded it, it's ready for staining. I'm gonna stain the wood grey (think the pepper laminate) with about 10 coats of tru oil (I may need to wait for it to warm up).

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
btw, i really dig the skeleton look daniel. With factory stocks everywhere, you can pick up a few and play with them. Ebay has plenty in the $15 range.
At work we have a giant belt sander so i turn the forearm down eliminating the barrel band. I also round the sharp shoulder on the top of the butt. I like to take a little mass out of the grip area as well. The last one i did, i really turned it down to a pencil forearm and made the grip real skinny for my wife and daughter. This one i did for myself and left a little meat on it. One more thing, i have yet to do one that i got rid of the barrel band and not had the accuracy improve greatly.
[Broken External Image]

Trade Back, Trade Back, Trade Back, I am Hollering Trade Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom