12 Ga. slug for Bear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve done a lot of thinking about this. Had a thread a while back about it, and I think about it every time I plan on going up to Colorado to fish. I fish on the back side of the Rockies near Walden/steamboat and up north towards Cheyenne. Seen plenty of bears while driving around, haven’t seen many in person while fishing or hiking, thankfully. Hopefully my considerations give you some good perspectives.

my thoughts about carrying a shotgun/slugs:
What if I short stroke?
Is 4 slugs enough?
Will I get proper penetration?
Can I access it quickly?
Can I operate it while in a tree/wrestling a bear/etc?

my biggest concern was that I didn’t like the answer to most of these questions. One big consideration as well: we all perform less than optimally when dealing with life and death and massive adrenaline dumps. I would rather have my 15x 190gr (10mm) chances to hit vitals on a bear as opposed to 4x 437.5gr (12ga) chances. Just from a math perspective it’s 2850 grains vs 1750gr, and 3.75 times the shots. So with all that said I picked up a 10mm pistol. I also really enjoy shooting it now, as long as I ignore how much it costs to feed.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Arrows kill bear all the time and have for decades.
I would think a bullet could do the same.
Very cool story with a lot of replies that you will enjoy reading.

Bella Twin and her 22 rifle 1953 world record grizzly bear kill.

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/11/wh...a-world-record-grizzly-in-1953/#axzz6jqVA9Ycr

That's amazing. I've read reports of coastal browns and grizzly's being taken with 9mm and .45ACP handguns.
Alaskan fish and game officers carry the 10mm as a personal sidearm because of the potential of bear attacks.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I'm in the backcountry of New Mexico or Colorado, I always carry a 45 --- mainly because I don't own a 10mm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom