12" versus 10.3"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have this thing about the word erosion. College field trip. DG, I didn't make my question clear. You are saying the brakes are better than the flash hiders?

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are. They act as a pre blast baffle, to reduce wear on your can. To answer your previous question, my personal favorite length is 11.5". 11.5 inch will get more muzzle velocity, less wear on your can and keep the maneuverability of the 10 inch. Most all this goes for the 12 inch too

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Goin' with the 12.5". Thought about buying the MK18, but decided on the longer route. I can also get out way cheaper as I have a LPK collecting dust with a BCG and upper.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still have to find a lower to register. We are waiting on another round of Spike's. What's a couple of weeks compared to 9 months, right?!

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know you've already made up your mind but I guess I'll post my personal experience anyway since I'm late to the party.

I've had 16", 14.5", 12.5", 11.5", and 10.3" all setup for truck gun/HD in mind. The 16" with a suppressor was quiet, but long and heavy. That's what she said. The 14.5" midlength lightweight barrel was lighter, but still too long and felt slightly out if balance with the can on. The 12.5" with 11" Troy alpha was definitely light and handy, being very ideal without the can, for me. Went to a 10.3" mk18. Very short, very handy, heavy rail but not too bad, still a good length weight and balance with the can on, SDN6. I have an adjustable gas block on it so recoil, over gassing, dwell time, or whatever other fancy phrases they want to say isn't an issue for my upper, with or without the can. So I sold the 12.5" because I just didn't like it as much with the can on as I did the 10.3". Built an 11.5" and I think this is the sweet spot as far as barrel length goes. I don't have a mount on it for my can, but I'm not keeping it by my bed. When I shoot it I wear ear pro and its not too blasty even with the KAC triple tap. Oh and the sdn6 is a great can. A bit longer and heavier than the m4-2000 but with more internal volume I think it's a bit quieter and less blowback. I guess there's a skittle larger velocity jump from 10.3" to 11.5" than from 11.5" to 12.5". I don't have numbers but that's what I've always heard, could be totally wrong though. So in summation, I prefer the 10.3" with suppressor over 12.5" and suppressor. Oh and my 12.5" was over gassed but with no adjustable gas block not much I could. Changing buffers didn't seem to help. All the barrels are/were BCM, the 10.3" is DD.

You made a fine choice, just explaining my reasons for mine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom