124 and 147 grain 9mm loads and questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbadge

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just traded into a Dillon Square Deal B, with dies for 9mm, 38/357 and 40/10mm.

I shoot a lot of 9mm so I started with it after reading 4 or 5 reloading manuals and doing some research. This has been my first venture into the world of reloading.

So far I have loaded two different batches. They shoot well but leave LOTS of unburned powder inside the gun, gumming it up quick. The loads were made up of different amounts of Accurate Arms #7, that was given to me by a friend.

I want to shoot 124 grain FMJ's and 147 grain FMJ's.

Anybody got any clean(er) burning, straight shooting loads for 124 and 147 grain Zero and Montana Gold FMJs?

If so, I would appreciate the appropriate:

overall length;

bullet choice; and,

primer choice (I am using Federal SP).

I know that there are TONS of loads listed in the manuals, but I would like to start with a load that has been succesful so that I don't buy a zillion different powders while trying to find a load I like.

FYI, I am shooting these rounds from 5" 1911 platforms.

I see a lot of people using lead bullets in their 9mms. I had never even considered that (don't really know why). Can someone explain to me the different preferences/uses for lead, FMJ, TMJ, etc?

I did do a search before posting this, but did not come up with adequate answers to my questions. I apologize in advance if these questions are too repetitive.

Please feel free to throw in information for a good 38 Special HBWC load too, if you got one (my wife loves to shoot the heck out of these).

All help is greatly appreciated!

Sorry for being such a noob - I swear I'll get better some day! :sorry4:

Thanks.

Don

acpjosh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use 3.4gr of unique and an OAL of 1.075. With J&K 125s I use 3.8gr of unique with a 1.09 OAL. 3.8 is lower than the lowest in the lyman book, but it is a very light recoil. DISCLAIMER, before you go below recomended charge in a load book, test the lowest first and then drop a tenth at a time and be sure the bullet exists barrel. I use lead because it is cheaper. I usually use federal primers......... I have some pretty light recoil loads for .40 for a 5" 1911 if you are interested.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should consult a burn rate chart before selecting a powder. http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

AA #7 is slower than HS-6, which is a hot 9mm powder for max velocity loads. The reason you're not getting complete burn with #7 is that it's just too slow for 9mm loads. Titegroup is a top choice for all 9mm bullet weights. It's very consistent from load to load and produces very good accuracy. Vit N320 is a very clean, cool burning powder that is excellent, if pricey.

Consult your bullet manufacturers and they may have powder recommendations, along with minimum and maximum recommended loads. Their recommendations will be better than generic reloading manuals that do not list the specific bullets you're using.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please feel free to throw in information for a good 38 Special HBWC load too, if you got one (my wife loves to shoot the heck out of these).

3 gr HP38/Win231 (same powder).
2.8gr Bullseye.
The HBWC is designed for light target loads and can come apart if pushed too hard, although you can go up a bit from what I've listed. (read the reloading manual)
Hodgdon reloading data online:

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

bigbadge

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you all for the amount and quality of information so far!

Several people have asked what I am shooting these rounds in - I don't know if it is important or just curiosity, so here goes.

I have a single stack Springfield Target Loaded with a match barrel and bushing installed - I love this baby!

I also have stock Para Ordnance 18.9. A lot of people gripe about this gun and its reliability. However, if I clean it a little sooner than "normal" and do not try to feed it any truncated rounds it has NO problems.

I will be picking up an STI Trojan in 9mm sometime this year too.

Thanks!

Don

savedbygrace

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hope you like your Square Deal I have two of them side by side on my bench leave one set up for large primers and the other for small. I don't have much info on the 9mm I reload 45acp 38special and 380acp. But I will second what "Glocktogo" said and say get some Titegroup of all the powders I've used this is by far my favorite. A little goes a long way and ive never experienced incomplete burn or gumming of any of my pistols using this powder. Hodgden also has great online resources. http://www.hodgdon.com/

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot 9mm and use HS6, kinda the odd man out here but I really like the way it shoots. The load ive settled on for 147gr J&K lead bulelts is 4.9gr.

I also have a bunch of 124gr TMJ MG bullets im working on a load for and I think the 6.5gr of HS6 is gonna be just what I need.

As others have said not not take any of these loads as written in stone, get multiple reloading books from different places and research the lods for urself and start on the lower end and work ur way up to what works best in your gun and for u.

These loads have been fired from my M&P Pro

ETA: Its kinda smokey with the lead and I plan to buy some tight group when I make a run to powder valley later next month and test that out since so many ppl use it for 9mm already I wanna see what all the hype is about.

redleg45

Marksman
Reaction score
I use Hogden Universal Clays. Very clean and consistent. Look at the Hogden website for specific loads. I have used it for 9mm, .38,.40, .45 and moderate .44 Mag loads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom