14" Barrel on Rem 870

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serenity Bushcraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have done a little research on this site concerning what it takes to put a
14" barrel on my Rem 870. Just to be sure that I have this right......

1st I get a Form 1 and fill it out. Attach a $200.00 check and mail it in.
I also need to send finger prints and a signed form from my local law enforcement.
2nd Wait untill the form is returned with the tax stamp.
3rd Have my 18" barrel chopped down and get the sights reattached.
4th Go Shooting.................????

Is it legal to hunt with a 14" shotgun if you have the stamp/paperwork? I am sure it will still spit slugs.

Any tips on speeding up or removing the red tape will be helpful.
Thanks Guys/Gals...........CHEERS, notasniper

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You forgot the engraving. You have to get the receiver engraved with the owner's name. Either individual, trust or corporate name.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have done a little research on this site concerning what it takes to put a
14" barrel on my Rem 870. Just to be sure that I have this right......

1st I get a Form 1 and fill it out. Attach a $200.00 check and mail it in.
I also need to send finger prints and a signed form from my local law enforcement.
2nd Wait untill the form is returned with the tax stamp.
3rd Have my 18" barrel chopped down and get the sights reattached.
4th Go Shooting.................????

Is it legal to hunt with a 14" shotgun if you have the stamp/paperwork? I am sure it will still spit slugs.

Any tips on speeding up or removing the red tape will be helpful.
Thanks Guys/Gals...........CHEERS, notasniper

Sounds like you are going the individual route as opposed to the trust/corp route.

You will need two form 1's. You attach two 2"x2" photos and your CLEO signs the forms as well as you.
You need two fingerprint cards with the ATF's NFA Branch's ORI info.
You need one citizenship form (also called certificate of compliance).
You need your name, city, state engraved as Dan B mentioned.
You might look for a factory 14" barrel instead of cutting you barrel.

Here is my form 1'd 14" factory barreled 870.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v389_CAR_AR_M16_Remington870.jpg

Serenity Bushcraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, Very helpful. In the near future I will post my "project" pictures. It is going to look a lot like the picture above but I am putting the Scattergun Tech ghost ring sights on for a little longer sight picture. Again thanks for your help.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you are going the individual route as opposed to the trust/corp route.

You will need two form 1's. You attach two 2"x2" photos and your CLEO signs the forms as well as you.
You need two fingerprint cards with the ATF's NFA Branch's ORI info.
You need one citizenship form (also called certificate of compliance).
You need your name, city, state engraved as Dan B mentioned.
You might look for a factory 14" barrel instead of cutting you barrel.

Here is my form 1'd 14" factory barreled 870.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v389_CAR_AR_M16_Remington870.jpg

I too have wanted to do a SBS for a long time now, but I have a coupla questions.

What if I have my name, city and state engraved on the SBS and then move to another city and/or state?

When I die, what happens to my SBS then?

Is the 870's mag tube a flush fit for the 14" barrel? Or do you have a 1 round ext. on it?

And lastly, how do you have the front end of that sling attached?

:thanku:

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too have wanted to do a SBS for a long time now, but I have a coupla questions.

1. What if I have my name, city and state engraved on the SBS and then move to another city and/or state?

1. When I die, what happens to my SBS then?

3. Is the 870's mag tube a flush fit for the 14" barrel? Or do you have a 1 round ext. on it?

4. And lastly, how do you have the front end of that sling attached?

:thanku:

1. Nothing. You don't have to have it re engraved or changed in any way. Otherwise it would be a huge ordeal for any firearms manufacturer to move their location to another state.

2. When you die your NFA items will be like any other property you own. Once it is out of probate if it goes into probate (don't know anything about it) whoever the NFA items are supposed to go to will need to fill out a tax free form 5 transfer and have it approved. Not a big deal if you leave instructions. A trust makes this part easier too. I don't, but I will have the forms already filled out for my trust beneficiary and they will be with the trust and the NFA items.

3 & 4 I don't know about.

Milezc9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Nothing. You don't have to have it re engraved or changed in any way. Otherwise it would be a huge ordeal for any firearms manufacturer to move their location to another state.

2. When you die your NFA items will be like any other property you own. Once it is out of probate if it goes into probate (don't know anything about it) whoever the NFA items are supposed to go to will need to fill out a tax free form 5 transfer and have it approved. Not a big deal if you leave instructions. A trust makes this part easier too. I don't, but I will have the forms already filled out for my trust beneficiary and they will be with the trust and the NFA items.

3 & 4 I don't know about.

Stay out of probate!! Get a will made up and anything you have designated goes to that person. If anything is in probate, the lawyers and accountants get to decide who gets what and they usually have a big bill for probates.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stay out of probate!! Get a will made up and anything you have designated goes to that person. If anything is in probate, the lawyers and accountants get to decide who gets what and they usually have a big bill for probates.

So...I send off for the stamp, I get the stamp, I get a 14" 870, have my name, city & state engraved, write up a will, yaddida, yaddida, yaddida. :blahblah:

Then, when I die, whoever I will it to gets it...right? Do they hafta send in $200 and all the paperwork and blah, blah, blah like I did? Or is it theirs "free and clear" even with my name on it? Or do they hafta do the entire process that I did?

This is so confusing. :scratch:

Latest posts

Top Bottom