160gr ftx something

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried every which way you can in 30-30 w/ multiple rifles. No accuracy to speak of and other problems. Trying to turn a 30-30 into something that it is not and changing what makes it such a great cartridge in the first place was my final analysis. I plan on doing a write up sometime.

Last edited:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have tried CFE 223 not so good , xbr8208 worse and Lever which is the best and that is not anything to brag about. Going to try some h335 next ( powder I have never used until lately) If I cannot get the groups down to 1.5 -1 inch groups at 100 I am going to shelf the 160 ftx .

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Crushed a few tips while seating them. I had to get the proper insert for the seating die and then no more ruined bullets.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found with my 30-30 brass the same head stamp could have .014" neck thickness and some measured .010" thickness.
That explained my large groups that looked like 3 good shots then 2 fliers.

Once I neck turned my 30-30 cases no more fliers.
I was shooting cast Lee gas checked 170 gr bullets when that was happening.

Do yourself a favor and measure neck thickness on those 30-30 cases.

I sort all my cases by neck ID and neck OD.. they better be all the same ID and OD or I am not shooting for a group.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What powder you using and how is your accuracy?
I looked at my notes and it turns out that I loaded the 140 grain MFTX, not the 160 grain FTX. I used LeveRevolution powder and accuracy was OK.
I liked the bullet/load combo but those things are expensive. Only reason I tried them at all is because MidwayUSA had a really good deal on "factory seconds".

Latest posts

Top Bottom