17 HMR Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you guys think about this round? I like mine a lot and have killed several crows, opossums, and skunks with it. I'm not sure it is powerful enough for a feral dog though. The smaller stuff is pie with the 17 though. I like the accutrigger on it too. Not bad at all for factory.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the savage, and have taken lots of really small game with it. I love the round but have serious doubts of taking a coyote with one. I'm sure it could be done with a head shot, but I shot one at 150 yds and it ran in circles, finally taking off running. I watched it go around a mile across a wheat field with my optics, and it didn't look hurt at all.
Here is a shot with a .17 grain bullet at 15 yds on a yellow squash. There was nothing left but some tiny lead fragments.
They do have a 20 grain bullet that has better construction to use on bigger animals like racoons, and MAYBE coyotes. I haven't seen it in the stores, but it is available on the net.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_DSC00630.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P8150012.jpg

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't witness it so I guess I can't guarantee it happened, but the fellas that told me they'd taken yotes with a 17 aren't the type to tell fish stories so I'm betting it can be done. They're avid hunters too - so there may be something to your headshot theory. I didn't ask for details b/c I don't hunt.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I met a guy that said he put an injured doe down with a .17 hmr round to the head at 50 yds. Supposedly it took a large part of her head apart.

It seems like the low bullet weight would lend itself to poor ballistics outside of 100 yds. Although they are accurate to about 300 yds with no wind.

Latest posts

Top Bottom