1911 ejection issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Kemp 45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there anyone in the OKC area that works on 1911s?
I have a Colt Government Model that is giving me fits. When fired the spent case will get hung up Horizontally in the ejection port. I have tightened and loosened the extractor and also installed a new ejector With the same result. The gun fired perfectly for years until I decided to get it reblued. I have had this issue ever since.
I refuse to take it back to the Gunsmith that blued it because he had it for almost a year and I had to Get extremely rude with him to even get it back. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Having problems sucks. The video guy has a lot of information but his explanation of the way the extractor attaches to the case by snapping over the end of the case by use of the bevel on the cases bottom edge is completely wrong. The 1911 is a controlled feed firearm. Meaning that the breachface\extractor takes control of and holds the case as it enters the barrel's chamber. The extrctor is. Ot designed to snap over the cases rim.
I agree that a change to the recoil spring could be the problem as a stronger spring may not allow the slide to retract enough for proper extraction. But if you disassembled your pistol and kept the parts that didn't get blued you know what you have. If the gunsmith did the disassembly he may not have put your spring back into your gun. Same goes for the extrctor. It may not be your original. Make sure the extrctor is not damaged and make sure it is not clocked in the frame.

Latest posts

Top Bottom