1911.....made a rookie mistake.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't say I've ever lost a part of a 1911, but I did lose a spring out of a Beretta 92FS--not a big spring, but one of the little ones, like the one that pushes the slide catch down or holds the trigger bar up. After searching that dang shag carpet for what seemed like forever, I finally gave up and ordered a spring kit from Midway.

Not an hour after the charge went through, I found that damn spring, so I still have a complete Wolff (IIRC) spring kit for a Beretta 92 sitting in my safe...

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Little metal plate that holds the hammer spring on a Taurus revolver took flight while replacing all the springs. Pulled out everything swept every where went through every thing, nada. So I start forming one and had it about 2/3rds done , granddaughter comes over so I get up to put a couple pistols in the safe and she walks over to my chair picks it up and hands it to me!!! :blush: Got an extremely clean floor out of the deal and an extra plate as well. :cool:

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a tale of complete stupidity. I was cleaning my new to me Caspian 10mm. I was working on removing the recoil spring plug and had the barrel facing me. I didn't expect the strength of that recoil spring and the second I twisted the barrel bushing far enough out of the way, the plug was on the loose. Unfortunately for me, my forehead was directly in it's flight path. Left one h&ll of a bump/bruise on my forehead and and even larger bruise on my ego.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You aren't alone in having that happen. I think the Cylinder and Slide Recoil spring plug that is made to help prevent this is a good idea, I may order one from Midway since it is only a $10 part. Myself i mainly have the problem of loosing small parts for my ar-15.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Losing a spring on a dark wooden floor is a royal pain to find, I've done it and next time I'll get a clear plastic bag.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-Magnetic-Power-Pick/3363970

mobileimages.lowes.com_product_converted_008236_008236951325.j7763c0517c0b71ba220b74d93000fde4.jpg

If you work on your guns, this is a must have for flying springs/parts. Also does a great job at picking up shotshell hulls at the trap/skeet range when cleaning up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom