1911 recoil springs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I own four factory 5" stainless 1911's.......Springfield Armory Mil-Spec, S & W 'E' Series, Remington R1-S and a Ruger SR1911.

How often do you need to change recoil springs ?.

I've read that 16, 17 and 18 pounds are the most commonly used but how do you determine what weight to purchase or one that best duplicates the factory spring ?

I've also read that flat coil springs are somehow better than my factory round coils (which seem to run just fine)......true or not ?

There's several different mfgs of springs out there......what are the good brands ?

Last edited:

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
I change mine every 2000 rounds/regular recoil springs.
I use a 17Lb spring.
I have a couple that I have swithced to Wilson Combat Flat Wire Recoil Springs(17 Lb) with the Wilson Combat Flat Full Length Recoil Rod, these are advertised for 40,000 rounds. I dont know if they will last that long. Havent got 40 thousand yet. At 3500 rounds on one and its still good......your mileage may vary.
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Flat-Wire-Recoil-Springs_Kits/products/442/

Last edited:

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did the flat wire swap on mine, mainly to be able to disassemble without the tool...but even if they only last half what WC says they will, its still way beyond what the standard springs last.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use various hand loads light target loads and heavy bowling pin loads. And vary springs from 14 to 18 pounds pending the load. For most standard manufacturers ammo I have found 16 and 17 pound springs work best. I always use Wolff springs. I put 5000 rounds on a spring with good results.

Barn Dog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use the Wilson flat wire in 14# for my IDPA loads. I change them out every spring. I use a flat wire @16# for the home gun, never felt the need to change it. To me spring weight is subjective, each 1911 I've owned has had its own sweet spot for spring weight.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The full size Wilson flatwires are 17#, and I was mistaken the Commander flatwires are EGW 22#.

The two guns I have over 6000 rounds through are full size govt models.
Thanks I'm gonna get some of the commander size. I have a Colt commander I've been carrying for years that I'm sure is due for a new one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom