1911 - Which brand/model is the best for the money?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayd

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking for a stainless 1911, just got back from 2 local shops where one said Kimber was the way to go and the other said Kimber had issues. My preference was a Springfield long slide but they're made in Brazil and I don't want to spend 1000.00+ for one. To me quality and accuracy are the most important issues, then cost and resale value. I'm interested in a Ruger Sr1911 but can't find one. How can Ruger sell a 1911 made in the USA for 600.00-700.00 and Springfield sell a similar model made in Brazil for 800.00-1000.00? I purchased a Springfield Mil spec 6 years ago and have not had any issues.

I've looked at Sig, Kimber and Springfield, I don't want to spend more than 800.00, what would be a good choice?

jcarpenter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Springfield is a good brand and their lifetime warranty is what swayed me. The one I got was a lemon and after calling them and after a few weeks of the gun back at their place it has ran smooth as butter.

If youre looking for resale, Colt seems the way to go. A majority of their used guns seem to be a little off new price.

Kimber is a good brand as well.

Know what you want in the gun ( night sights, beavertail, ambi thumb safety etc etc) and go from there.

Is this going to be strictly a range gun or potential for carry?

jayd

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's interesting, both shops said the Range Officer was a good choice, is it made in Brazil. Accuracy is at the top of my list so a range gun is all I'm interested in.

longrangepistol

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About four (4) years ago I was in the same position looking at various 1911's. After researching the Internet and talking to a lot of competitive USPSA shooters who shot in the single stack division (1911 division) I purchased an STI Trojan 5.0 on the advice of Will Andrews at H&H, who also shoots single stack division. They are made in Georgetown, Texas and assembled and fitted individually by a real gunsmith. I've competed in USPSA since that purchase and have probably put more than 20,000 rounds through my STI and the frame to slide fit is still tight. The only add on's were a beveled magazine well and main spring. My STI will out shoot my custom Colt Series 70, which is my backup gun when competing. The match grade fitted bushing, oversized ejection port and adjustable trigger make this a great first gun. I spent approximately $950.00 for mine four years ago. You will find that STI's don't come up very often for sale on this site or any other online sites. When they do they don't last long, so resale is not a problem.

The final factor was if you look up a majority of the top competitive shooters more than half shoot STI. It's an American company based in Texas that still builds guns they way they should be built.

Contact Mike Cyrus (olyeller) here on OSA, sometimes he's got new STI's in stock reasonably priced. You can find them at www.stiguns.com.

Here's a review from Gunblast on the company.

http://www.gunblast.com/Cumpston_STI-Tour.htm

LRP

Latest posts

Top Bottom