1911 - Which brand/model is the best for the money?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rock Island Armory

I bought one new for around $400, replaced the sights, and it has been the most consistently performing 1911 accuracy wise for me with the exception of the colt 10mm

Boy I certainly didnt know what i was in for when I entered this thread, a mod needs to put a disclaimer on this one lol.

I chose not to muddle in with the middle of the road stuff and bought an RIA for my 1st 1911 and a year or two down the road i'll put some money down on something really nice. I could care less where my RIA was made if they had a good reputation. My RIA is very accurate for the money and thats all that there is to it but if you want top of the line then just save up and then pony up.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned three Kimbers and never had a problem with them. A friend in Kansas told me that two of the three Springfields he has had to be reworked to run. He bought them all new. Today if I were looking to buy,I'd go Sig or STI.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The newest ??? is do you buy new over used? A Kimber ,I believe ,says 500 rds to break in. For me thats a Lot of rounds to break a gun in that might have problems.
My Taurus took about 100 rds to get used to then it was fine, Springer about the same.
My RIA has about 50-75 rounds and it seems fine.
Then the final ?? is do you/I have the $$ to afford the popular/high-end 1911's.
For $1200 I can buy a pretty decent 1911 (or 2) and a decent amount of ammo to put through it.
The best one for me is the one I can afford to shoot ( usually middle of the spectrum, for now).
Now, when I get to fondle an STI, Kimber,..add high end 1911's...I might change my saving/buying habits.
But go out there lookin and have fun with them , theyre a blast to shoot...(reloading would be next on My agenda)

Latest posts

Top Bottom