1911 - Which brand/model is the best for the money?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickeyparker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Attribution of failure is that he opened himself up to Opinions other than Suggestions, The Opinion of a Gunsmith is always going to be do it right and better, The Opinion of someone looking for a less expensive 1911 is always " "Liking the way it looks" But not always the "way it works" 1911 is a "combat pistol" I want one that works and looks good, It just turned into a pissing contest instead of a helping thread, I would never question a gunsmith on their suggestion or Opinion as they have the training and experience on these things.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Attribution of failure is that he opened himself up to Opinions other than Suggestions, The Opinion of a Gunsmith is always going to be do it right and better, The Opinion of someone looking for a less expensive 1911 is always " "Liking the way it looks" But not always the "way it works" 1911 is a "combat pistol" I want one that works and looks good, It just turned into a pissing contest instead of a helping thread, I would never question a gunsmith on their suggestion or Opinion as they have the training and experience on these things.

If you go back and read each of his posts very carefully, you'll notice that he came into the thread with several preconceived notions. He basically stated that he wanted an American made stainless steel 1911 that was very accurate, for less than $800. That's an incredibly tall order, and most would say an unrealistic one. When others tried to offer helpful suggestions, he refuted nearly every one of them. I would suggest that the OP was not in fact looking for suggestions. He was trolling. He already knew what he wanted and either couldn't get it, or it was out of his price range. Doc WAS respectful in his post, yet the OP took one single word out of context and jumped him. The rest of us were not going to tolerate that and reacted accordingly. Once we realized what he was doing, we simply didn't play his game. Hence my statement
Seems to me you've been given all the advice you're willing to listen to, so good luck!

You'll find that there are some incredibly knowledgeable shooters and smiths on this board who are capable of giving excellent advice that can range from a broad overview, to very detailed and specific. Coming into OSA as a new member and trying to "trump" them is a fool's errand.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you could look for a cheap colt 1991a1 series 80. i just handled (not shot) my grandpa's and it seems nice. He got it for $300!! only been fired 12 times and that was in the 90's

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you could look for a cheap colt 1991a1 series 80. i just handled (not shot) my grandpa's and it seems nice. He got it for $300!! only been fired 12 times and that was in the 90's

Think he'd sell it right now for $500? That's a significant return on his investment.

My point simply being that getting a Colt 1911 for $300 is an aberration, rather than the norm.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first was a 1911ss it functioned semi-flawlessly until I keep reading your comments and instructions. ..Then it did function flawlessly...(right grip,trigger control...Thanks Guys).
Ive since moved to a Springer LWC Operator and a Rock Island 2011/1911 (means have kept me from the STI ) but one may be in my herd before long.
Thanks for the learnin's.....$3800 hand built will just be for drooling at for now

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
As much as I like the 1911A1, I like the SW 4506-1 an 4566. Both built like a tank, and will take lots of abuse before failing(I've yet to see one fail). I know its not a "cocked & locked 1911A1", but I'm fine with that!!

That ought to stir the pot some!!

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a SA loaded and got hooked on 1911's then stepped up to SA TRP. LOVE them both. Can't speak of other brands but I know there are some even nicer ones out there as has already been discussed here.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As much as I like the 1911A1, I like the SW 4506-1 an 4566. Both built like a tank, and will take lots of abuse before failing(I've yet to see one fail). I know its not a "cocked & locked 1911A1", but I'm fine with that!!

That ought to stir the pot some!!

Had one of those. Pretty good pistol!

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My how I have enjoyed reading this thread. Since the OP doesn't need anyone's advice (including some very 1911-knowledgeable members), I think this may be the best buy out there for him:

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom