2012 Rut Reports

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ODWC's 2012 Rut Report for

Southeast, Southwest & Central
SOUTHEAST

Deer gun season hunters may be entering the woods toward the end of the rut in southeast Oklahoma.
"The rut that I'm seeing is in full swing," said Joe Hemphill, southeast region wildlife supervisor for the Wildlife Department. "By the time next week gets here, we probably will be on the backside of the rut. Still, deer should be on the move.
"They're going to be very active," Hemphill said. "They still have to eat. They're still going to be on the acorns."
Hemphill said lots of bucks are being observed fighting and sparring, and that "there's lots of scraping activity going on."
Hemphill reminds hunters to read the "Oklahoma Hunting Guide" before heading afield, noting any changes that may affect their hunting season. He also notes that that the fall colors in the region are as vibrant as they have been in years.

SOUTHWEST
Forage and water levels are below normal levels in the southwest, and unseasonably warm, dry weather has been dominating the region, according to Rod Smith, southwest region wildlife supervisor for the Wildlife Department. But according to Smith, hunters could see some active rutting on opening weekend.

"Pre-rut activity to date seems to indicate heavy rut activity will likely be in full swing for the opening of rifle season," Smith said. "Younger bucks have made themselves more visible, and hunters in the field report seeing an increased number of scrapes. Bucks have been observed tracking but not yet in full chase mode. Bucks observed mingling with does are showing increased interest, while does remain unreceptive."

Hunters in southwest Oklahoma may want to place greater emphasis on available water and fresh, succulent forage. Food plots on regional WMAs are reportedly in fair condition due to the drought. Wheat is in good enough condition to provide a usable food source. Hunter activity on WMAs has been average or slightly below average, while a number of hunters report they are waiting on cooler weather. Still, Smith said regional businesses such as motels and restaurants have reported normal activity through the muzzleloader season.

With the rut building in intensity, it could be a good time to be a southwest Oklahoma deer hunter.

CENTRAL
"So far, 2012 has been a mixed bag when it comes to rutting activity in the central region," said Jeff Pennington, central region wildlife supervisor for the Wildlife Department. "Most hunters saw higher than normal rutting activity early in the muzzleloader season with the excellent weather conditions. Daytime rutting activity decreased later in the season with warmer weather conditions."

Pennington said the rut picked up again during the first full week of November, with some bucks observed chasing does during the middle of the day. Increased observations of road-killed dear have been observed as well, often a sign of rutting activity.

"The rut will almost always peak in the central region between the tenth and twentieth of November, and this looks like it will be the case in 2012," Pennington said.

Prolonged drought conditions continue in the region. Pennington said the overall deer activity has been higher than normal due to the nutritional stress caused by the drought.

"Despite the dry conditions, patchy portions of the region produced a surprising number of acorns, especially the black oaks along creek drainages (most people will call these red oaks)," Pennington said.

Locations that still have good acorns will be prime hunting spots during gun season as drought stressed deer try to replenish energy reserves. Growth of wheat and other typical cool season foods have been limited by the drought.

"The height of grass and other vegetation is very low again this year, which should make deer highly visible to hunters," Pennington said. "The drought conditions will be tough for the deer, but should make for very good hunting conditions."

ltracer2012

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This morning around pauls valley, last night something lit a fire underneath the deer, this morning most activity I've seen in a long time! Had 3 good shooter bucks and 6 does and had 2 little bucks all out brawl right in front of me. The rut just now kicked in! I'm ready for tonight. I just haven't seen any chasing yet. Sure I will tonight!

bink98xcab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
wednesday at work i seen a doe across the pasture roaming the field eating acorns about 8:15, she made her way across the entire field (probably 100 acres). 30 minutes later a buck comes out nose to ground like a bloodhound scanning the whole area she had been . i mean this guy was on a mission and turned her 20 minute trip into all of 3 or 4 minutes. he left the same trail she did. my first good sign other than new scrapes this past weekend.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NC, I was out tonight. Saw no chasing bucks, like in the last couple of days. I'm saying the does are coming in and the bucks have some does cut out.

Had some cruising bucks come by after legal light. they still walk.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd say the ODWC's rut report for the SE is spot on for what I have been seeing. I think this will be a great weekend for rifle hunter's potential to see something worth pulling the trigger on. Mornings are nice and frosty, been seeing a lot of does on the hoof at first light and throughout the morning. Being on the backside of the peak, ol boys are going to be on the move looking for the leftovers.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
pulled cam cards up here in NC Ok yesterday. Tons of bucks surprisingly in bachelor groups. 3 or 4 pics of bucks locked up in a fight. Honestly think the rut is just getting ready to start full steam.

ltracer2012

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed on it just starting, the deer just broke from there nocturnal patterns and starting moving during the day, last night had a doe come through then a little buck came Into the field, the doe turned and looked and started running right at him trying to get him to chase her, he wanted no part of her lol then this morning right at day light had a shooter come crusing by to my left but couldn't turn to get a shot. Then the does came in. This weekend I think will be really good!

Latest posts

Top Bottom