2013-2014 waterfowl success/pictures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last duck hunt of the season ended up being the shortest. Killed a 5 man limit in less than an hour. Most of them weren't the prettiest ducks in the world, but they still make damn good sausage! The last day of duck season is always a little depressing, but I'll still be chasing geese for a couple of weeks.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's alright, that is still a sweet gun. There are still very few O/U that will handle a 3.5" shell and even fewer that you can find in factory camo. I have been on the hunt for a few years for one of the citori's. Not to many around though and most of the time guys are very very proud of them when selling.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice Porter! Whenever we had enough water to hold divers, we'd see a few Canvasbacks.........ever see any over there?

There were a few killed on one of our regular holes out this way. I killed one immature drake. The good ones I saw this year where out in your neck of the woods but they were all in the decoys before or after LST.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even though there are still a couple of weeks left to kill geese I decided to sort my totals I'd been saving on my phone with the DU app.

94 birds total. 15 different species.

Mallard 26
Ringneck 15
Canada Goose 13
Gadwall 11
BWT 8
GWT 6
Shoveler 4
Wigeon 2
Speck 2
Ross Goose 2
Canvas Back 1
Greater Scaup 1
Pintail 1
Snowgoose 1
Redhead 1

I was pretty surprised by a few of these numbers. The gadwall usually dominate my seasons and I don't think I've ever killed more BWT than GWT. Also, I don't think I've ever had a diver species in my top 3.

Overall it was an awesome season! A little over 200 days and we get to do it all over again with the early teal season!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I didn't realize that DU had an app that would keep track.......have to try that for next year. Counting through pics last night, I think the trips that Justin and myself were on, 175 birds ducks/geese combined, 10 or so geese. We usually shoot mostly wigeon, and we shot very few this year, most everything was mallards and pintails. So we had mallards, gads, pins, GWT, shovelers, wigeon, greater/lesser canadians, snows, speck and Ross. Seems like most of the field hunts where there were more that just Justin and I, we didn't take hardly any birds, pond hunts were better. We never hunted the river this year, so no hoodies, common mergansers or goldeneyes.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Goldeneyes 5' above the water going 55mph are great fun! There are buffleheads in that area as well. I didn't realize that either of those birds came this far south, have seen them both around Salt Plains.

Latest posts

Top Bottom