2013 Ruger Rimfire Challenge World Championship @ USSA in Tulsa July 20 - 21!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got a pretty good start, but the heat was brutal. Rifle ran flawless, but had a mag malfunction on one stage that didn't do me any good.

Ate a couple of energy bars about noon right before the pistol stages, that gave me the shakes or whatever. Man, I couldn't keep a steady sight to save my life. Sight pic was shaking like a leaf.
Don't know if it was the sugar or what. I've been hydrating for two days, so it wasn't that.

We have two pistol, and two rifle stages to run tomorrow. Good luck to everybody shooting.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Day 2:

Starting out a little wet, but the show goes on.

image-115159459.jpg

TerryD1969

New to the site!
Reaction score
We had a great time! My daughter has been taking lessons from Allie Barrett and this was the first competition that my daughter got to see her shoot. The rain really was a bummer on Sunday but we still had fun. The RO's were great! The damn electronic timers didn't like the rain though. I took probably 150 photos on Sunday.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rain was a damper. My feet looked like a prune by the end of the day, soaking wet all day. Saturday's heat was pretty taxing too. This was my first time shooting this type of format, so I learned from it and hope it comes back next year.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
......... I am disappointed with this competition.

This was my first time to shoot this type of format and what I found to be most disappointed in was the the lack of safety rules enforcement.

I know this is a family friendly match and promotes new shooters to see what this form of competetion shooting is about, but the RO's did not do any favors in my opinion by letting shooters slide by. In fact it promotes bad habits and poor firearm safety and that is not what we need from this type of event.

I spoke to one shooter about a safety concern and his answer was, I'll do what I'm doing until they tell me I can't.

Examples of what I saw:
*180 deg rule broken multiple times, once while bagging the firearm, once while shooter bent down to retrieve an ejected round.

*shooter sweeping his own hand while loading a mag between strings (yes chamber was loaded)

*shooters starting with fingers on the trigger after load & make ready command, I thought fingers had to be outside the trigger guard until the beep. I actually looked for that rule in the official RUGER Rimfire rules, guess what.....it doesn't say it. Steel Challenge Rules do!

*a negligent discharge while a magazine was being changed out between making ready for the next string of fire. (probably had a finger inside the trigger guard)

*a mag change with the middle finger inside the trigger guard. Shooter probably not even aware they did it.

*while waiting for Stand-by command, trigger slack was already being taken out of the pull.

Those were the things that most concerened me. On a positive note I saw 10-12 yr olds handling firearms more safely than some 50 somethings, good for you parents and grandparents for instructing them properly!

I know the match being relocated, information and coordination of things were not as smooth as they could be. I never saw anything on USSA's website promoting the match or any other promotion being done outside of an announcement on a couple of forums. If promoted properly I would think more than 98 shooters would have attended a match of this type.

I had a great time and learned from the experience about the gear I shot and probably what I would shoot instead next time. I hope it comes back to Tulsa again next year. In the mean time I now find myself wanting to shoot some steel challenge matches :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom