2014 Rut info thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sat yesterday morning in the same stand as Friday, where I had 2 different young bucks chasing does, but I didn't see anything on Tuesday. Sat until 11. Checked my game camera and apparently the day before is when the action quit. There were 2 different young bucks and some does on it from Monday.

I sat this morning in a different location. Spooked a bedded deer near the stand (they never bed there). Had a doe south of me about 100 yards at 730. 3 doe ran by at 150 yards from the south to the north around 815, with no buck in tow. At 915, I had a wide 6 point come by at 10 yards. One side of his rack was palmated, but he was 2.5. At 1020, I had a doe feed directly under my stand, get to 10 yards, upwind, when she saw something, looking away from me and left in a hurry back the way she came.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the update MIH, I have been sitting at work all week dying cause I just know those big bucks are chasing does right by my stands....lol, Doesn't sound too hot and heavy where you have been. Good luck.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the update MIH, I have been sitting at work all week dying cause I just know those big bucks are chasing does right by my stands....lol, Doesn't sound too hot and heavy where you have been. Good luck.

Sure thing. I don't think it's hit central Oklahoma hard yet. I suspect it to bust wide open in the next week. I am surprised that the snow storm didn't really get them going. Best of luck when you can break away.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone notice the ODW slipped this gem in their rut report. "Rut will most likely be on the downhill side of things by opening day in the northwest and Panhandle regions. There should still be some bucks on the move. Be prepared for low deer numbers, especially when it comes to mature bucks; the drought has not been kind to the deer herd in western Oklahoma. Hunter numbers will likely be high on the WMAs that are open"

Very reassuring

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just read that Justin.
Just my opinion that comes from countless hours in the stand already, that the rut peak is not here yet. I still have does and bucks feeding side by side.

Maybe they are talking further west?

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put a game cam up a week and a half ago, and plan on checking it this weekend while I throw down a some food to increase activity. Hope to be out hunting after Thanksgiving(maybe do a little black Friday shopping for deer).

Latest posts

Top Bottom