2014 Rut info thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've saw more rut activity this year then I have in several years. I watched a really nice mature 8 point chase a doe Friday morning till the poor guy couldn't go any longer...He came by my stand a few hours later and I was able to give him a nice long rest. My son was setting in my stand yesterday and had two 8 points and a little forky horn come by all together. He said no doe was present..Sounds like they may be cooling off. I've made a trip to Enid everyday for 35 days straight and there was a time a couple of weeks ago that every trip I would see a different buck ran over on highway 412..One morning I saw 3 bucks and that evening someone had already cut their heads off...Now I've noticed that all I see are does..about 5 miles East of Enid there were 3 dead does in less then a mile stretch. Maybe all the bucks have already been hit..I sure hope not..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've saw more rut activity this year then I have in several years. I watched a really nice mature 8 point chase a doe Friday morning till the poor guy couldn't go any longer...He came by my stand a few hours later and I was able to give him a nice long rest. My son was setting in my stand yesterday and had two 8 points and a little forky horn come by all together. He said no doe was present..Sounds like they may be cooling off. I've made a trip to Enid everyday for 35 days straight and there was a time a couple of weeks ago that every trip I would see a different buck ran over on highway 412..One morning I saw 3 bucks and that evening someone had already cut their heads off...Now I've noticed that all I see are does..about 5 miles East of Enid there were 3 dead does in less then a mile stretch. Maybe all the bucks have already been hit..I sure hope not..

The little forky horn that my wife hit last week with her car, was laying in the ditch. A day later somebody cut the little antlers off.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There has appeared to be more rutting activity in my area than in years past too, and I have a theory (maybe not a valid one, but a theory). I'm seeing less doe numbers this year and seemingly the same amount or more bucks, and in past years, the bucks haven't really had to compete for their girls. With lower doe numbers, the bucks actually have to compete and chase them.

My theory is very unscientific because I'm only basing my deer numbers on those seen on game cams and from a deer stand. Feel free to flame away…..

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There has appeared to be more rutting activity in my area than in years past too, and I have a theory (maybe not a valid one, but a theory). I'm seeing less doe numbers this year and seemingly the same amount or more bucks, and in past years, the bucks haven't really had to compete for their girls. With lower doe numbers, the bucks actually have to compete and chase them.

My theory is very unscientific because I'm only basing my deer numbers on those seen on game cams and from a deer stand. Feel free to flame away…..
No flaming. High doe to buck ratio, means getting some is easy and no chasing around is needed. Even doe to buck ratio will have more visible rutting activity. Low doe to high buck ratio will have even more chasing and fighting. This can also be hard on bucks as they will be more run down going into winter. A balanced ratio is best, but not always achievable by hunter with small land parcels.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, Bassin. I've noticed in one of my spots many more does were present this year. I expected, and was not surprised when it occurred, to see very little chasing in my best spot due to the higher doe numbers. Also as expected, there was zero response to rattling attempts from Halloween to Thanksgiving.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
more chasing activity on my place than i've seen in 12 years. the does are not to be found though. the only two mature does I have seen this year were being chased.
we have a group of 5-6 does that we are only getting at night. none have broken off the group almost like they have not gone into estrus.
weirdest year I've ever seen.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Seen an incredible buck chasing this evening, if he'd had both sides, I'd be posting up in the success thread. Other deer that I saw were grouped up and wanted to eat.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been quiet here. Barely even see many does at the feeder last few evenings, not seeing bucks to speak of and no rutting activity. Like you mentioned Okie, lots that have knocked off a full side or at least a tine. Been waitin on a few sows that are makin the rounds but they haven't showed either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom