2015-2016 Waterfowl Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally got out last night for some trigger time.

questmhsa.com_r00s7a_1_3_2016b.jpg

Had not been seeing many birds in the area, but had not been sitting on my spot to see what was coming in to roost either, so didn't have high hopes. Started seeing a good number of mallards coming in early, so my spirits lifted quickly. I'm hunting a 120 acre lake that has a pretty good creek flowing into it, birds fly down the creek then pick a hole of their choosing on the north end of the lake, where I was. Most of the time they hit the first hole they come to, which is hardest for me to get to, but that is where I went last night. Of course most of the birds bypass my hole without a look and went to my easiest hole to hunt. Story of my life. Birds that did come in didn't like something about what I had going on and would flare at the last minute. Recently repainted deeks, not sure if that had anything to do with it, or the fact that I had no motion out in my spread to stir the water... or if they saw my fat ass sittin in the cat tails with a shotgun pointed their way. So I spent a good part of the evening watching couple hundred birds sitting down elsewhere. Once it got past sunset and they couldn't see as well, I noticed more wanting to come down in my spread. I had moved closer to my deeks, standing in thigh deep water and just kept pumping my legs to get some ripples in the water, that was about all it took. I ended up dropping three, then the mallards were done. Last few minutes of shooting time, here came the woodies. Pouring in from every direction, nearly landing on my head. By this time I was standing out in the water with no cover, moving around, and they were trying to land on my head. Fumbled my phone and got a few seconds of video, but it isn't great.

Been duck hunting over 20 years, got my first band. Memorable night.

questmhsa.com_r00s7a_1_3_2016.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's awesome, r00s7a! Congrats! Guess it made the difficulty of getting in there worth it. Have you been able to check the band information?

It's rather humorous when ducks want in an area so bad that they're dive bombing you. I've had it happen a couple times.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Couple of observations from yesterday, as far as decoys and being on the x. The first pic is where we set up yesterday morning, and we killed quite a few birds, and as you can see in the pic, they wanted to be east of us, and we still manged to pull a few birds over to us. Right under where those birds are, is flooded, but frozen solid yesterday morning. We had 4 dozen canadian, 1 dozen snow and two mallard mojos.

When we went back in the afternoon, after 15 minutes, we could tell they weren't even going to look at us with the ice now thawed, so we grabbed 4 goose socks and the two mojos and drug out blinds out into the mud and water and found a small dry spot where the birds wanted to be. I almost think we could have stood there and shot birds, they wanted to be in there that bad. Second pic was after we moved, they were buzzing just 20' over our heads while we were setting up.

Being where they wanted to be was more important that the spread.

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20160103_151329_zpsbni7ttf4.jpg

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20160103_165729_zpszr9jouvw.jpg

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was over at Grand Lake and had a half mile of waterfront I could hunt, but the birds that flew overhead, were well out of range. We did find where all the birds were going though, as an old farmer to us and showed us "his spot" on the lake. Even though we were not allowed to shoot, we did manage to jump literally thousands of mallards that were congregated in a BIG open hole in flooded timber. It was literally a sight to behold, when all those birds took flight...

Congratulations on the band roosta!

Latest posts

Top Bottom