2015-2016 Waterfowl Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How big is it okie? I've read that eye color can change after death. Apparently it's quite common in species like wood ducks that have predominantly red eyes. The other option is that it has redhead somewhere in the gene pool. Doesn't look to be too dominant though or I would expect some different coloration in the bill.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
How big is it okie? I've read that eye color can change after death. Apparently it's quite common in species like wood ducks that have predominantly red eyes. The other option is that it has redhead somewhere in the gene pool. Doesn't look to be too dominant though or I would expect some different coloration in the bill.

It's mallard size. The only other two I've shot were bigger than a mallard, red eye'd and almost snow white backs. Came in with two others of the same size. They didn't fly or act like redheads, and seems like when we've shot redheads, they were always in a fairly large flock. His eye was yellow when the dog brought it to me from the water.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Thanks sticky, he's retrieved a lot of birds over the years. Where we were yesterday is where he retrieved his first duck years ago. Drought did this place in for the last few years though (completely dry), good to have it almost back to normal. We'll be across the pond out of the wind this morning :)
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_1541693751_photobucket_36725_.jpg

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20160130_093641_zpsogwrb6tn.jpg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Last day for you duck, merganser and coot hunters...lol. Two more weeks for geese(1 more week for specks, why they don't go one more week is craziness) so get out and shoot some feathers before it's over!

Latest posts

Top Bottom