2015 Garden Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get a cheap battery operated tooth brush, the kind that vibrates.. you can use it to pollinate your lonely plants. I did this with some peppers last year and I doubled my crop.. just lightly touch the brush bristles to the flowers and you will see a little dust cloud of pollen puff up.

Do you have to be aware of wind direction when doing this?

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Do you have to be aware of wind direction when doing this?

Not that I know of, the brush bristles do a lot of the pollen transfer.. I understand an older way is to simply use a fine artist paint brush.. I do clean/rinse the bristles between species.

when selecting a tooth brush, make sure its the one that vibrates, and doesn't have moving/rotating bristles.. the disposable ones should be less then 5.00

I saw where a guy attached an aluminum rod "very small diameter" to a toothbrush the vibrations reached the end of the rod and allowed him to reach through his plants easier

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not that I know of, the brush bristles do a lot of the pollen transfer.. I understand an older way is to simply use a fine artist paint brush.. I do clean/rinse the bristles between species.

Ok. I know the wind does it naturally and insects do it manually. Answered my question. Thanks!

Now if I can keep that doe out of the garden.....

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a cheap battery operated tooth brush, the kind that vibrates.. you can use it to pollinate your lonely plants. I did this with some peppers last year and I doubled my crop.. just lightly touch the brush bristles to the flowers and you will see a little dust cloud of pollen puff up.

My Granddad always carried a loosely rolled newspaper to the garden. Said maters and peppers was like teenagers, when they got lazy, whacked a couple times. He always had maters and peppers to give away.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Walked out to the garden to watch the planets come together. That doe I've been talking about was bedded down 50' or so from the garden. Guess I'll see what/if she got into anything in the morning.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been hearing a ad on the radio, on my drive in to work, for a new deer repellant. It is supposed to shoo them away without harming them. Have you tried anything like this? How about some motion activated solar powered lights, I have been hearing about?

Walked out to the garden to watch the planets come together. That doe I've been talking about was bedded down 50' or so from the garden. Guess I'll see what/if she got into anything in the morning.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep deer out!
A double row electric fence using the wire tape like they use for horses will work. You put the one up and then about 30" out, put up the other wire. The deer get to the first one and won't jump it because they see the second one, but aren't sure how far away it is.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This doe walked up to the bird feeder right in front of our living room window the other day and started licking bird seed out of the feeder. Wife thinks it's cute.
Thanks for the suggestions!

callmecamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep deer out!
A double row electric fence using the wire tape like they use for horses will work. You put the one up and then about 30" out, put up the other wire. The deer get to the first one and won't jump it because the see the second one, but aren't sure how far away it is.

Oklahomabassin is absolutely right about this. I use this method to fence of my young food plots so the deer won't plunder them before they get established.

Latest posts

Top Bottom