2015 Garden Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That looks fantastic!! What is emt conduit? Is that the stuff with holes in it for suspending electric pannels?

EMT couduit is the thin wall galvanized steel tubing used to run electrical wire through. It is available at all the home stores, I get mine at Lowes. Pretty cheap and a good source for light weight steel tubing for projects. I usually spray the weld joints with either Cold Gal which is a zinc spray paint to mimic the galvanizing that gets burned off in welding it, or aluminum spray paint. If I had it to do over, I would make it both taller and wider. It still has plenty of room for starting seedlings, but I'd like to be able to grow more variety in winter. I just finished laying out a PVC watering system that the wife saw on a gardening program. I'll shot a couple of pics and post them as soon as I get a chance.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put some persimmons and white oak acorns in the freezer today. Soon I will plant them in some buckets and see if I can get some trees started.

I looked at the website of the Ok forestry service today and saw that offer persimmon bare root seedlings. They are sold out for the year.

Interested to see how your project turns out.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought 20 pecan trees to add to the grove and cleared a few more acres of cedar off this weekend. Alergies are paying for it today but it looks like a tornado went through with all the cedars laying everywhere waiting for dry enough ground to push them into a pile. I have a lot of native persimmons on the property but I've removed them where they are competing with space with the native pecans. Wife doesn't like them but I'm finding it hard to cut down something that makes food.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought 20 pecan trees to add to the grove and cleared a few more acres of cedar off this weekend. Alergies are paying for it today but it looks like a tornado went through with all the cedars laying everywhere waiting for dry enough ground to push them into a pile. I have a lot of native persimmons on the property but I've removed them where they are competing with space with the native pecans. Wife doesn't like them but I'm finding it hard to cut down something that makes food.

Persimmon makes great old school golf clubs too, in case you get bored and need a new project........

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good Lord knows I don't need any more projects....

Got plans?

No, that tidbit of trivia info came from another thread a long time ago. I was making turkey call strikers from persimmon, and somebody chimed and said I should be focusing on golf club shafts. Looked it up, and he was right!

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was able to spend the last few days getting my Green house built. I had a "shed kit" that was put on the shelf after I went a different direction.. it was a 2x4 Basics kit, I got on Amazon..after I got it I ended up with a metal shed from Lowes...anyway the kit lets you build a shed structure without any angle cuts " box o brackets". I used about 70.00 in green lumber and a few boxes of screws... The frame was covered in a heavy mill Visqueen a family friend sold me for 25.00 " a farm auction item". If we really use it next year I may get the nice plastic panels. Each roof side is 8'x8' the inside is about 8'x15' My father in-law ave me the cattle panels, each panel had some lumber I was able to salvage as well so my total out of pocket on this was just under well under 200.00... If I don't count the new lithium Ryobi Drill and Driver I just had to have....and the electric staple gun... GOt's to get new tools when I can!

View attachment 46662 View attachment 46663 View attachment 46664 View attachment 46665

Latest posts

Top Bottom