2015 Garden Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Got tired of turning the ground with a shovel so made an investment yesterday. Never seen one of these before so I hope it works as advertised. Any feedback from someone with experience would be appreciated.

http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/...Id=-1&pageName=en_US/featured/axis/index.html

I love tillers, the rear tine looks like a boss.. I got a an old Craftsman for about 40.00 it had a Briggs 6.5hp the gas tank had a crack in it and it didn't start when I bought it.. anyway I'm a pretty good small engine tech so I didn't think much of it other then talking him down on his asking price. I had full intentions of fixing the motor, however I was at HF they had one of their 6.5hp predator's on the return shelf marked down 50% off and I Had a 25% off coupon they also added So I walked away with a brand new motor for 35.00'ish...before I put the old briggs on the shelf I fixed it too...

View attachment 46666

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was able to spend the last few days getting my Green house built. I had a "shed kit" that was put on the shelf after I went a different direction.. it was a 2x4 Basics kit, I got on Amazon..after I got it I ended up with a metal shed from Lowes...anyway the kit lets you build a shed structure without any angle cuts " box o brackets". I used about 70.00 in green lumber and a few boxes of screws... The frame was covered in a heavy mill Visqueen a family friend sold me for 25.00 " a farm auction item". If we really use it next year I may get the nice plastic panels. Each roof side is 8'x8' the inside is about 8'x15' My father in-law ave me the cattle panels, each panel had some lumber I was able to salvage as well so my total out of pocket on this was just under well under 200.00... If I don't count the new lithium Ryobi Drill and Driver I just had to have....and the electric staple gun... GOt's to get new tools when I ] View attachment 46665

That's a beautiful job!

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks awesome. Though I have always read not to use treated lumber in a greenhouse since the chemicals can leach out of the wood and drip down or soak into the garden soil. I've wanted to build one from cedar but cost always put me off.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Looks awesome. Though I have always read not to use treated lumber in a greenhouse since the chemicals can leach out of the wood and drip down or soak into the garden soil. I've wanted to build one from cedar but cost always put me off.

This body is used to chemicals....I don't get the aversion to chemicals..how many super heroes are natural born..and not a product of a chemical reaction.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Really though I don't buy much into the chem stuff, admittedly I did zero research on Green House building materials, I am planting everything in buckets so nothing is going directly into the ground around the greenhouse.. I also don't mind using pesticides to save my crop either... I would try a "natural" chem free method first if is wasn't costly... I mean I get the chem issue but I also don't mind using some either if it would keep me from loosing my entire garden.

Last edited:

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This body is used to chemicals....I don't get the aversion to chemicals..how many super heroes are natural born..and not a product of a chemical reaction.

All good points! haha

I'm kind of in the same boat but I don't use synthetic fertilzers but mostly because I want to know I can grow without them should the need arise. I've got extra land so I overplant and keep watch on the garden. Some diatomacious earth here, pick a few worms there, even some beer in half buried mason jars works well and I've had good yields. I won't pay for gimmicky organic stuff either. Rooting solution comes from this year's willow whips, etc. Made some terraprata by turning sticks and hardwood cuttings into char to ammend the soil with. Put some small sticks laid in with hardwood scraps and hot manures like chicken waste and it will break the wood down fast into a soil that will hold nutriants like no other.

I do want to build a greenhouse a few of my raised beds and I really like your design. I thought about bending arches out of 20ft galvanized sticks and lay them out in a good sized hoop house but your framed structure with the mesh looks really nice. Might try to duplicate but with painted white wood if you don't mind my copying? YOu said you got a kit which is where the metal braces came from? Does look awesome!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Really though I don't buy much into the chem stuff, admittedly I did zero research on Green House building materials, I am planting everything in buckets so nothing is going directly into the ground around the greenhouse.. I also don't mind using pesticides to save my crop either... I would try a "natural" chem free method first if is wasn't costly... I mean I get the chem issue but I also don't mind using some either if it would keep me from loosing my entire garden.

I'm not totally against chemicals either. Put out enough plants so even if its a tough year, still get enough to keep from buying at the store.

Get that soil test!! Its the best thing your garden can ask for.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I do want to build a greenhouse a few of my raised beds and I really like your design. I thought about bending arches out of 20ft galvanized sticks and lay them out in a good sized hoop house but your framed structure with the mesh looks really nice. Might try to duplicate but with painted white wood if you don't mind my copying? YOu said you got a kit which is where the metal braces came from? Does look awesome!

I got something made by a company called 2x4 basics, do a search on Amazon for (2x4 basics) . They make all kinds of kits you build with 2x4s, I got the peak style roof, they also make a barn style roof. I did't follow their directions, and made my own dimensions. The steel plates/brackets seem flimsy at first but as it goes together it gets very stable. The depth of my structure is 8' if I made it much deeper I would need a second kit so I could get enough support between the "A" thingy's. If you go this direction let me know and I can give more details. The cattle panels really made this thing strong, it reminded me of how those put together particle-board shelf's are before and after you nail that cardboard backing on...

Also take a look at some youtube videos of "cattle panel green house" this is what I was going to make until I was cleaning out my shed and found that 2x4 kit...

Latest posts

Top Bottom