2015 Garden Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Free heat!! Yea!
Do you know about or notice a difference starting seeds in the dark vs with light..? I understand some seeds need darkness to start, maybe others not so much...one thing I run into with YouTube videos and the alternative gardening or high-er tech gardens is I have to appreciate the info and replace Pot with tomatoes and peppers..

Haha yeah the pot grower dudes probably have "indoor square foot gardening" down to a science! Mine isn't so technical. I just sprout the plants inside the comm closet and then move them to a window and let them get a little bigger until it's time to put them in the ground. I guess I could put some LED lighting in there until it's time to move them outside but not sure how that would work. I've got tomatoes and peppers in the ground now (could weeks ago) and they have alraedy put down roots and are growing. If we can keep a sudden frost off them, I'll have early tomatoes this year!

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm very behind and I am okay with that. 1krr, it sounds like you have a heck of a set up in the works.

Dennis, you talked about donations. The misses and I are hatching a plan for a community garden in our new digs. Any ideas from the brain trust here on setting something like that up? The opportunity to feed a crap ton of folks popped up at church and I am a bit overwhelmed.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After reading about Dennis donating I have been kicking around giving a paper sack of garden veggies to the street corner folks..

Don't. Most are making a living from begging while they could be working. Granted some may need the help, but you don't know. They have food sources at homeless shelters if they are truly hungry.

If you have excess inventory, donate it directly to the shelter and not individuals. They really appreciate the help.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm very behind and I am okay with that. 1krr, it sounds like you have a heck of a set up in the works.

Dennis, you talked about donations. The misses and I are hatching a plan for a community garden in our new digs. Any ideas from the brain trust here on setting something like that up? The opportunity to feed a crap ton of folks popped up at church and I am a bit overwhelmed.

One of the churches in Ponca set up a community garden several years ago. Its about an acre and divided up into small plots. They provide water and volunteers provided setting it up. Fast forward to now, the community garden gives out small garden spaces to anybody that wants them. They can plant food or flowers.
Its amazing how much food can be grown in a 20'X20' plot if its done correctly.

We used to take excess veggi's to work and try to give them away, but most that have a job have a garden or something, so we ended up throwing them away.

My Son and my ex FIL, his Grandpa(that I'm still great friends with) go to the Senior Center on Wednesdays to eat and visit. I've gone with them a couple of times, and when I saw somebody had donated fresh tomato's a light bulb came on.

A member at The Ponca City Rifle and Pistol club runs the John 3:16 mission in Ponca. I'll put in extra plants this year to help support them as well.

These organizations rely on donations and federal/state donations. Sometimes those run a little short. Individual donations make the difference sometimes.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gotcha, the wife and I got to talking after talking to friends at church. I like to garden and cook so why not do those things for old folks around us? (This is going to cut into my morel, turkey and crappie chasing time) I am cool with it. Donated ground in town, I just have to ramrod the deal. Provide the equipment, seeds and promote it, still cool with it at this point. I don't have a clue how much I should grow, how much I should require them to help, how to cull asshats that want to leach, how to avoid folks destroying the garden. I've got an awesome restaraunt style kitchen and delivery system available and can do those things well when I'm available but the garden throws me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I gotcha, the wife and I got to talking after talking to friends at church. I like to garden and cook so why not do those things for old folks around us? (This is going to cut into my morel, turkey and crappie chasing time) I am cool with it. Donated ground in town, I just have to ramrod the deal. Provide the equipment, seeds and promote it, still cool with it at this point. I don't have a clue how much I should grow, how much I should require them to help, how to cull asshats that want to leach, how to avoid folks destroying the garden. I've got an awesome restaraunt style kitchen and delivery system available and can do those things well when I'm available but the garden throws me.

the Church in Ponca just donated the ground. Other than the original set up by volunteers, the community takes care of it from that point on.

They have a few rules set up, but those rules are very minor. If somebody lets their plot go to weeds, the neighbors clean it up so it won't mess theirs up, so its self policing.

Always going to be a bad apple in the group, so you just work around them. I think they have to pay $20 a season to offset water costs up front.

My personal garden is pretty big, and its just the wife and I, so excess goes to donations. We used to can, but don't now.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it was one of the blights or a fungal issue but my toms leaves started getting yellow spots, they were on the top surface of the leaves and barley visible on the bottom side. Anyway, I bought a red bottle (cant remember the brand and its outside) of anti fungal spray it seems to have saved my toms and they are almost back to normal, with near zero leave loss.

Latest posts

Top Bottom