2015 Spring Turkey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oksportsman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddy called me late last night and said he had put a flock to bed last night on public ground. Saw the small flock of hens and toms feeding/strutting and followed them all day.

We were in there at 5am after a short night. We were sitting there just before fly down, when some guys came running in. We were 1/2 mile from any road, and saw them coming. Flashed a flashlight at them and they kept coming. I stepped out and told them we were here first and would appreciate it if they would back out and respect our area. The big guy basically told me to F0ff, because it was public ground and they could do what they wanted.

Tried the angle of respecting another, and it almost got into a fight. Decided to just pack it in and go to the house. I hate public ground hunting.

Yes, they were legal according to the law, but piss poor sportsmen.

Piss poor is being too nice...

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ended my two year turkey drought with a pretty awesome hunt this morning. Went with a buddy that had never killed one and set up on some birds that another good friend had been keeping an eye on for us. We were set up for 10 minutes when the first bird strutted into the decoys and I had already told my buddy he had to shoot first. He looks over at me and says "can I shoot it?" Lol. He smoked him at 20 yards with a 10gauge single shot and I got it on film.

We let the bird lay dead in the dekes because another gobbler fired off about a minute after he killed his bird. Sure enough about 5 minutes later the other bird steps out into the field but doesn't see the decoys and is slowly angling away. I didn't give him a chance and stoned him at exactly 50 yards.

We had to wait for the sun to come up a little just to get some good pics. Certainly a morning I won't forget.

That's two years in a row I've been with a friend that has got their first bird and I enjoy it more than killing my own.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429484492.888151.jpg

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally got to connect with a bird yesterday evening. Have had an awesome three days of hunting for the most part. There has been little to no wind, which seems odd for turkey season. Seeing and hearing great numbers of birds, lots of hanging up and combative hens have kept me from getting birds actually in the decoys. And getting busted standing in the road... three times that has happened. But lots of encounters overall, so that has kept the motivation level up. Went out yesterday afternoon bout 4 to a spot I always see birds in the early evening. I had tried to sneak in there a couple of days ago and got busted walking in, but managed to fly in under the radar this time. Set up deek in the little road, yelped a few times, nothing, so decided to hang tight and wait em out. Getting up at 5 every morn had been taking its toll on me, before I knew it, I nodded off and bout snapped my neck when I came to. I froze cause I knew my head had just made a sudden motion from nodding off, then I heard leaves moving behind me. Wasn't the sound of a deer or diller, but a random crunching sound. Slowly turned my head and I strained my eyes to catch a black blob out of the corner of my eye... turkey. Could tell there was more than one, but could not see beard or any details. Of course my gun was down in my lap, leg was asleep and almost completely dead. Birds were in no hurry and constantly pausing, move a few steps, pause again. It took a good 5 minutes for them to even get around to the side where I finally saw a swinging beard, then another and another. 5 toms all together, each one with fat swinging beards. They started to wander off pretty far to the side, which was fine cause it gave me a little room to breath and get my gun up, but then they just kept on going away from me. Threw out a soft yelp and they froze and stared. One started walking back towards decoy and the rest slowly followed. They were all way out to my right side, no way to get a shot without lots of movement. Another 10 minutes go by and they are just scratching around, slowly getting in front of me. Gun is finally up and ready, and they start wandering off again behind some brush. I throw em another volley and they freeze. Forever. Finally the lead bird does a 180 and heads for the decoy very slowly, the rest follow. He had to go about 10 yards before I'd have a shot, all I could see was the top of his head slowly bobbing above some brush. Finally he clears everything and sent a 3 1/2" #6 full of lead his way. Down he went and started flopping on the ground some. His buddies took one look at him and all 4 completely ignored the shot and proceeded to riverdance on their buddy's head for five minutes. I grabbed my phone real quick and recorded it. They went to town on his ass. It was quite entertaining. Will post if it ever completes uploading to youtube. Finally had to run them off cause my butt was getting sore. If I had a buddy there he could have easily got him a bird too, they would not leave. Awesome hunt, now I'm done. Nice bird, 10 1/2" beard, bout one inch hooks.

questmhsa.com_r00s7a_4_22_15s.jpg

Post shot... started out with camera at wrong angle, stopped and turned it sideways and started over for second video. Crappy footage, but fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom