2015 Spring Turkey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finally scored on one! A great hunt too. After a season of crazy bad luck and disappointment it all came together and I had my boy with me on the hunt. This bird had half a fan and numerous folks had been trying to kill him with no success. He would park in the middle of a field and strut all day and wouldnt come to a call for nothing. Finally I decided I had nothing to lose, got my jake decoy out of my pack and holding it in front of me began to belly crawl out into the field towards him. I had read a article about doing this earlier in the week. I crawl the first 100 yards toward ol half fan and he doesnt see me, I crawl another 50 and all of a sudden he sees that jake decoy and here he comes. He is ticked and throws that ol half fan out in strut and keeps coming. Mind you im laying out in a dirt field behind this small decoy and he is still coming at full strut. I get tempted to pull the trigger at 40 yards but i hold off til about 25 and lower the boom on him. My son runs out and we thank God for this bird and I start to tear up, I am just so thankful for this bird and my son being there to share it with me. He is jumping all over, so pumped with excitement. He looks at me and says, Dad, are you crying? I tell him, yeah, just a bit and explain why. He understands. 24lb bird, 9.75in beard inch long spurs.
View attachment 47629View attachment 47630
Great story!
Those Pictures are what hunting is really about! You and your son sharing a memory that will last forever!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Hunted this afternoon and this evening in two different counties. Lot's of birds, several nice birds...............either uncooperative, hens cut us off, horses chased off toms, or coyotes intercepted the birds in route to us! Heard no less than 500 gobbles and it was beautiful out, lot's of walking and ground covered and time spent glassing. Great time with the daughter hunting, still no bird in range for her though. Still got a few days left.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spent the day on Kaw chasing crappie without much success.
But, I did motor by some land on the COE that had a controlled burn on it. Only accessible by boat or a 3 mile walk.
Should be a hotspot for bugging toms.
If anybody wants to check the area out with me, give a shout.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Chased them till about noon..............all the long beards must have gone to church, because they weren't around except for 2 first thing this moring, and they were with hens and didn't want to cross the fence. Spotted and set up on a lot of birds throughout the morning, daughter had several chances at jakes but we let them walk.

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20150503_110102_zps94echks6.jpg

They still had the energy to run to the top after we'd already put in some miles this morning.......... ah.... youth!
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20150503_120503_zpsnm68cseo.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom