2015 Spring Turkey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My daughter shot her first at 7yo, she was a little taller and longer armed for her age, and used a mini youth Mossberg. It's a great kid turkey gun, action is not smooth, kinda of cranky and have just made it a dedicated turkey gun. Ported choke tube eats the recoil of a 2 3/4" hi-brass 6's. She was able to handle the gun, bracing on her left knee while sitting on my lap and I was able to whisper to her the whole time about what was going on. She used that until she was 11, now shooting 20g Winchester SX3.

My son is 7 and wants to wait another year to pull the trigger on the shotguns............. I didn't push :)

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My daughter shot her first at 7yo, she was a little taller and longer armed for her age, and used a mini youth Mossberg.

Yea, I thought about getting one of those. They are nice and small. I didn't want to spend the money though and have her decide it was a once and done thing. That gun is so stinking small it is truly only good for kids. I had an old Winchester Ranger 20 gauge youth that was too long for her. Paid the gunsmith $20 and had him chop the wood stock down to her size, figured I wasn't out much that way and that gun had been collecting dust for at least 10 years, good way to put it to use.

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Brian,

Was he big enough to hold the gun himself or were you helping him hold it? Just curious. My 8 year old daughter wants to go very bad, but I am a firm believer not until you can handle your own firearm. Her older sister is 11 and going for the first time this year.

Not judging you here or trying to start an argument in anyway! I have zero problems with how other people take their kids hunting. I am just honestly curious if he was able to hold that youth 870 and fire it on his own or if he needed some help?

we used a primo trigger stick to hold the gun up, he sat on my lap and I took the brunt of the recoil. He aimed and pulled the trigger.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
we used a primo trigger stick to hold the gun up, he sat on my lap and I took the brunt of the recoil. He aimed and pulled the trigger.

Yea my daughter is going to use a monopod to help her hold the barrel up to, which I have no problem with. That old Ranger of mine has a 22" barrel that is VERY heavy, at least for a kid.

You say you took the brunt of the recoil? I assume that means he had the stock underneath his arm and you placed the butt against you? I find that most the youth shotguns are too long in length of pull even for my 11 year old daughter, EXCEPT for that Mossberg Mini that was mentioned. That gun is a nice LOP for very young shooters. Again just curious what others are doing, not wanting to start an argument here as I know this can be a sensitive subject with some.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The primo trigger sticks are great, that's what my kids use to hold up the crossbow when sitting in the blind.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Watch the video closely at the shot, you can see the wad fly up in the air after it hits the turkeys head.. it was only an 11 yard shot.. thanks for the comments, he's still on cloud 9.

I saw that when first watching the video. Thought it was just an anomaly or alien spacecraft.

Cool that it caught that.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to post this like it was my own son that shot it because that's how proud I am of this boy. His name is Dillon, we met each other 3 1/2 years ago, my first year with the Oklahoma Youth Hunting and Shooting Program. He wasn't even the kid I was guiding, but we struck up a friendship that has lasted ever since. He texted me last night and was so excited to have called in his first turkey, hunting by himself, and it was a good one! Said he was hung up with hens about 400 yards out but was able to get him to break off and come on in, 10 in beard. Man, you talk about a good feeling. To know that 3 1/2 years later later, this young man still remembers and thinks of me to tell me about his accomplishment. It made me well up inside and there might have been a tear roll down my cheek. He has turned out to be a fine young man and I am so glad we got the chance to be friends.

questmhsa.com_r00s7a_d_4_9.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom