2016-2017 Waterfowl Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
He must be driving around looking at a Ducks Unlimited Magazine then lol! In all seriousness, the out of state guides have all left, a couple of the GW we visit with frequently say the refuge has an incredibly low count right now as well. We've got over a dozen grain fields, and several bodies of water to hunt in three counties and nada. I drove to Freedom yesterday and didn't see a bird. Justin drove out to the pan handle yesterday and saw birds once he got there. FB pics show guys slaying them in the southern part of the state still. Maybe this weekend they'll flight back up.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Tons of geese around Ponca. About an hour before dark there are flights everywhere.
Resident birds?
No, migrating geese. I'm a firm believer that they'll only fly as far south as the ice and feed allows. After this second freeze over here, duck numbers really dropped. From everything I'm reading, Zone 2 still has good numbers of birds, especially south. Next time you see the geese, look up above them and see if there's ducks over them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom