2016 controlled hunts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^ Nice but I'm not seeing where to access your pref points. You'd think it would be on the pref points page, but I'm not seeing it anywhere.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Secondly, I wish there was a preference point only option. Some years I don't want to get draw for a certain species but don't want to lose out on my point, so I put in for the slimmest chance possible hunt and hope I don't pull it!! Just did that with turkey, I don't want to get draw for next spring, but I want my point.

I agree. I dodged a bullet by not getting drawn last year with the twins being so young. Although, had I drawn Elk, I'd have hired a nanny for the weekend so I could go. lol

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^^^ Thanks! Do they max you out at 20 pref points for elk, or have they not always kept preference points? I've put in every year since I was 18yo.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They should not max out. Although, if I'm thinking correctly they did not always keep pref points. Not sure when that came about, but could be wrong.

Have you applied yet this year. Once you do your point total will increase automatically by a point and be shown on that display, that's what mine did. I have 20 points for antelope, I just hit 20 this year so next year I will make sure I have 21.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Two things. Noticed they now have a preference point look up now! Type in your info and you can see how many points you have for each species. That is nice. If they had this before I have never noticed it.

Secondly, I wish there was a preference point only option. Some years I don't want to get draw for a certain species but don't want to lose out on my point, so I put in for the slimmest chance possible hunt and hope I don't pull it!! Just did that with turkey, I don't want to get draw for next spring, but I want my point.
Problem with that strategy is that you will get drawn for your lowest preference and wipe out your best spot.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Problem with that strategy is that you will get drawn for your lowest preference and wipe out your best spot.

Not sure I quite follow what you are saying. Typically when I do this I apply for only one choice for that species in one of the longest chance draws available. Typically, those with the longest draw odds are your most desirable/best hunts anyway. So if by chance I am drawn I at least have a good hunt to go on, IF I can make it. If not, oh well that's the chance I take. Its the best I can do when a pref point only option is not available.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure I quite follow what you are saying. Typically when I do this I apply for only one choice for that species in one of the longest chance draws available. Typically, those with the longest draw odds are your most desirable/best hunts anyway. So if by chance I am drawn I at least have a good hunt to go on, IF I can make it. If not, oh well that's the chance I take. Its the best I can do when a pref point only option is not available.
Yeah, I read that wrong yesterday.

garret01

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have 0 experience with the controlled hunt. I have young ones too so I'll be putting in for nearby hunts.

So if you have 30 guys show up for a one day hunt, how do you hash out who gets what spot? How do I know someone won't be right on top of me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom