2016 controlled hunts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinOKC

New to the site!
Reaction score
No Golf Course hunt for me (see earlier posts). Drew Lexington 16 Nov. Looks like a couple fellow OSA members did too. Anybody ever been to Lexington? Surely if you walk far enough you can get away from the "sea of orange"

I've hunted Lexington many times, but never any luck. I drew Lex last in 2013. Tips: Get there 30 minutes (minimum) earlier than check-in. The line will get long quick, and once you check-in it's a mad rush to choice spots throughout the WMA. Yes, it can be a sea of orange, but be willing to go where the majority is not willing to go. No shocker, but a lot of "hunters" aren't willing to go more than 100 yards from their trucks. I also concur with other posts on hunting the edges. Those deer aren't stupid and when they hear the 60-70 trucks screaming into their territory at 5:00A, they push out. Also, depending on the weather and what dates you've been given, I'd stay away from the food plots. There's too many acorns in the deep wooded areas, so they really don't need to come out into those areas. Plus that's where the majority of your "orange" sightings will be.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, depending on the weather and what dates you've been given, I'd stay away from the food plots. There's too many acorns in the deep wooded areas, so they really don't need to come out into those areas. Plus that's where the majority of your "orange" sightings will be.

I agree. The food plots are like new fishing lures; you're more likely to see hunters/catch fishermen, than deer/fish.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My hunting buddies have already cussed me for this. I applied for the first time ever this year and got drawn for Elk cow in Wichita Mountains. Feeling extremely lucky, blessed and excited.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My hunting buddies have already cussed me for this. I applied for the first time ever this year and got drawn for Elk cow in Wichita Mountains. Feeling extremely lucky, blessed and excited.
That is lucky. It's a tough hunt. Good luck and take lots of pics for us to look at.

Latest posts

Top Bottom