2017 Deer hunting results/stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
View attachment 109969 View attachment 109970 Got my bruiser this morning at 0815. I had missed this deer at 35 yds with my bow almost two weeks ago. I had seen some does this morning looking into the woods then they moved off to the East cautiously. Not 20 mins later, this guy comes chasing 3 different does down the wood line coming from the opposite direction but also from the area the first set of does had been staring at. Shot him at 65 yds with my Tikka T3 30 06 with 180 SST hand loads. Biggest deer I've ever taken. We only have one pic of this deer on any camera this year and it is on a property 3 miles away. I've hunted hard this year for a bruiser. I'm now tagged out with this guy! Awaiting next year!
Great buck congrats!!!!

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fun hunting this morning. She gets in position with the xbow and they stand at 12y but all facing us. They fed around for a bit and let loose on the first one to turn broad side which was the smaller of the two does. She still weighed 122, I'd like to weigh the big nanny, she's got 130lbs easy. I have a terrible time seeing a xbow bolt, but I caught a glimpse of impact I thought and she though she made a good hit as well. I watch the three run over to another tree line and they stand there looking back at us. All I can see are their heads and necks thru binocs, and one of them has her mouth open panting. They look back our direction for over a minute and then turn and go about their way like nothing happened. The bolt is laying perpendicular to the shot about 15y away. Hmmmm..............so we wait an hour, seen 8 other does and small 8pt. We get down after an hour and there's some blood on the bolt, nothing on the ground but a little hair.

I told her this tracking job was hers, and that I'd start looking for blood where we last saw them. We head to the other tree line where we last saw them, just a few drops and some more hair. Then about 10y in she finds some pretty steady blood. There was never more than 10' between blood and sometimes 2 trails where she was bleeding out both sides.

Made the shot, tracked and gutted, she did good. Thank goodness for ATV's though :)

Beautiful! Quite the young lady you're raising there! Give her my congrats!

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_1955.JPG
IMG_1956.JPG
IMG_1957.JPG
IMG_1962.JPG

I was finally able to go hunting with my dad, @oksportsman , for the first time in a LONG time. I harvested this massive buck yesterday with about 20 minutes of legal shooting time left! By far the biggest deer I've ever shot. Weighed in at 190lbs field dressed at the processor. It's going to be tough harvesting a trophy that tops this one for me! I saw him yesterday morning, but he was on property where I couldn't shoot him, or coax him onto the leased land. He came back from the same spot I watched him disappear in and follow a doe onto our property, and the rest is history.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was finally able to go hunting with my dad, @oksportsman , for the first time in a LONG time. I harvest this massive buck yesterday with about 20 minutes of legal shooting time left! By far the biggest deer I've ever shot. Weighed in at 190lbs field dressed at the processor. It's going to be tough harvesting a trophy that tops this one for me! I saw him yesterday morning, but he was on property where I couldn't shoot him, or coax him onto the leased land. He came back from the same spot I watched him disappear in and follow a doe onto our property, and the rest is history.
Great mass on that buck. Congrats!!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
View attachment 109989 View attachment 109990 View attachment 109991 View attachment 109992

I was finally able to go hunting with my dad, @oksportsman , for the first time in a LONG time. I harvest this massive buck yesterday with about 20 minutes of legal shooting time left! By far the biggest deer I've ever shot. Weighed in at 190lbs field dressed at the processor. It's going to be tough harvesting a trophy that tops this one for me! I saw him yesterday morning, but he was on property where I couldn't shoot him, or coax him onto the leased land. He came back from the same spot I watched him disappear in and follow a doe onto our property, and the rest is history.

Great buck congrats! He's got some serious ear hair going on there too lol :)

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice buck! Congrats!

Thanks!

Great mass on that buck. Congrats!!

Thanks! I told my dad he was huge the first time I saw him....he didn’t believe me until he can to help drag him to a spot we could get the four wheeler to get him out easily.

Great buck congrats! He's got some serious ear hair going on there too lol :)

Thanks! Lol I made the same comment about his ear hair last night. I’m going to have him scored (I know it won’t be super high, mostly curious) he doesn’t have a ton of height and brows are broken, but tons of mass! I’m planning to take the jaw to wildlife expo to have him aged as well. He has tons of gray on muzzle and body. I’m thinking 6.5 or older.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Snuck off Wednesday after working in my time early. Saw these gals. Two fawns, two small does and a pretty large doe out of view behind the cedar on the right. They cleaned up the corn and ambled on off right at official sunset +20 minutes. As I'm getting ready to leave another deer and nice buck shot across the road about 30 yards out. Only caught a split second glimpse of him because he was spooked. I suspect he'd been hanging in the brush out of sight for about 20 minutes or so, but he didn't leave with the does so I just thought they were jittery when they kept looking back his way. These gals kept me company for a good 35 minutes.

Went and setup a blind in a different spot today. Didn't see squat. Niece was in this stand all day and saw a couple of small 5 pointers this morning and the doe pack this evening. They have this feeder time pegged as they show up right before it goes off just like clockwork.

Going to try and sneak back down a couple of days this week and will hit it hard next weekend.

IMG_5252.jpg

Shot of today's view:

IMG_5255.JPG

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Snuck off Wednesday after working in my time early. Saw these gals. Two fawns, two small does and a pretty large doe out of view behind the cedar on the right. They cleaned up the corn and ambled on off right at official sunset +20 minutes. As I'm getting ready to leave another deer and nice buck shot across the road about 30 yards out. Only caught a split second glimpse of him because he was spooked. I suspect he'd been hanging in the brush out of sight for about 20 minutes or so, but he didn't leave with the does so I just thought they were jittery when they kept looking back his way. These gals kept me company for a good 35 minutes.

Went and setup a blind in a different spot today. Didn't see squat. Niece was in this stand all day and saw a couple of small 5 pointers this morning and the doe pack this evening. They have this feeder time pegged as they show up right before it goes off just like clockwork.

Going to try and sneak back down a couple of days this week and will hit it hard next weekend.

You REALLY need some Cedar control. I'm headed to the farm to cut down the dozen 3' cedars that sprouted this year in one of pastures. Our neighbor that covers over 5000 acres have zero cedars after years of control. We have oaks coming back. Great habitat. Big ones like in your pic offer special challenges, but on the way from Ponca to Stillwater and OKC, I'm amazed at the number of 3' cedars that are growing in bluestem pastures. In a few years no grass will be seen. Right now they can be handled by a controlled burn or a brush hog. After about 5-6' even fire won't kill them. Hate those danged things.

Latest posts

Top Bottom