2019 Deer Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Well, my daughter got it done yet again. She texted at 4:50pm that she shot a big doe. I was hunting a half mile away so I told her to give it 30 mins then go look for blood. She texted at 5:40 that she found it, but it was a buck. I didn’t know what to expect. Turns out it was a mature buck that had a nub on one side that was barely above the hairline and a 2” stub on the other side. Legal for antlerless. I’m thinking he had some bad genes or something because the antlers had not been broken. Just never grew.

Anyway, 178 yd shot with the 308, and perfect placement. She touched nothing but ribs, the top of the heart and lungs. She blood trailed him for almost 80 yds. By the time I got there, she had already dragged him back up the hill to the field edge.

View attachment 149346
Very nice, congrats on the meat haul. About ten years ago I was ML hunting on my place. I see a huge doe and take the shot. Get to it and same thing. Two little nubs that never grew. Dressed out over 130 pounds

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
22” Select Grade stainless Shilen, medium contour, fluted and threaded for a suppressor in the 1:12 twist upper.
The 1:8 twist upper has a 22” Heavy contour Shilen select match barrel that is also threaded.
Aluminum magazines with Magpul anti-tilt followers.

Sure not cheapo barrels. Why the 2 twist rates? The tight twist not shoot the light weight bullets? Id like to have one but dont want any longer than a 20". Actually want shorter than a 20" if it wont castrate that round. My 20" 6.5 grendel is a hand full with my can on it. Follower for a 223 or 6.8 or...?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sure not cheapo barrels. Why the 2 twist rates? The tight twist not shoot the light weight bullets? Id like to have one but dont want any longer than a 20". Actually want shorter than a 20" if it wont castrate that round. My 20" 6.5 grendel is a hand full with my can on it. Follower for a 223 or 6.8 or...?

the 1:8 will group a 55 grain bullet at minute of pie plate, but will cloverleaf an 88-105 grain.
Never shot anything but .55 grain from the 1:12.
Not sure what the parent magazines are. Ditech has to modify the mags for the extremely fat cases, but they run reliably.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The amount of time it takes me to quarter one out and get back home makes for a long Monday. I'm very picky about the process so unless my freezer is hurting, or it's the last chance, I usually pass on does on Sunday night.
I absolutely hate cleaning deer in the dark, so I won’t shoot a doe on an evening hunt, period.:anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom