2020 waterfowl

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what does duck and goose taste like? I keep hearing that duck is greasy and that goose has a fishy taste but have never tried them. I see duck at the grocery at times but the wife refuses to even try it. Of course she will not try rabbit either.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
One last hunt in the morning.... which is good, I’m down to my last box of 20ga shells.... and no replacements to be found.[/QUOTE
Picked up a couple boxes of 20 steel at a pawn shop the other day. I’ll be headed out with the CZ 20 in the morning.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what does duck and goose taste like? I keep hearing that duck is greasy and that goose has a fishy taste but have never tried them. I see duck at the grocery at times but the wife refuses to even try it. Of course she will not try rabbit either.

Depending on who is cooking it and how it's cooked, both can be fantastic or not fit for dogs to eat lol.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Some ducks taste better than others. Wood ducks, teal, and mallard are at the top in my opinion. Shovelers and mergansers are the worst I've tried. They make the whole house smell bad.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I don't know of any ducks or geese that taste fishy except those of the Merganser type ducks that actually eat fish. Old timers before seasons used to say to not shoot the waterfowl heading north as they had been down in Louisiana mucky swamps and had a off taste. Only shoot them heading south in the fall through the grain fields from Canada. But that was legal to do even before my time.

Actually wild duck is rather lean and a tame duck is greasy. both wild ducks and geese are pretty blue meated though and wild goose is slightly livery in flavor to me. They are not my favorite game but I have eaten them and would again. That is the reason I am not a waterfowler. Usually wild geese are pretty fat and you might end up with over an inch of oil in a a roasting pan after roasting one. I have never eaten a tame goose.

I am sure these guys have way better ways of preparing them than I do with just a duck and oranges dish with wild rice and such. Any game can be wonderfully prepared and highly prized by people who know what they are doing.

If your in the Orient, STAY AWAY from the Peking Duck over there. They flatten it out like road kill and let it hang for a few weeks and slightly rot to the point of a good wang to it.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you get game that is not to your liking you can pressure cook it and pull it apart and add BBQ sauce. make BBQ sandwiches.
That has worked for a lot of tough non tasty game. And old roosters and Hens.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I, and the fellows I hunted with at the time, gave up hunting waterfowl many, many years ago because none of us found a way to cook them that we actually enjoyed eating them. And, we wouldn't shoot what we wouldn't eat.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Called it a day, 4 drake mallards and I'm not sure how many thousands of geese, more snows than I've ever seen. Tons ducks too but in the stratosphere.

Latest posts

Top Bottom