.22-250 Long range deer hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meatstick

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a savage model 12 fv .22-250. I was wondering if any of you guys or gals deer hunt with a .22-250? Also what is the effective range for long distance shooting with one and the best ammo to use while deer hunting with it? If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated!!

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I learned that the best ammo for deer hunting will be different for every single gun. I would figure out what shoots well in your gun above 60 grains and use it. If you are going to try and use a small bullet you need to be absolutely sure you are using a proper bullet. Not just buy whatever is cheap.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Legal bullet weight for deer in Ok is .55 grain or bigger.
I've killed a ton of deer with a 22-250. Like has been said, make sure you buy ammo with a bullet designed for light skinned game(not varmint) and your good to go. My longest is a tad over 400 yds.

dtaylor9551

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use an Encore with a 22-250 barrel. Last year I let my 11 yeart old grandson use it and made the mistake of using XP Ballistic point ammo. He shot an eight point at about 75 yards out broadside and the deer ran off and left no blood trail. come to find out the ballistic tip bullets were exploding before doing any penetration. I went to my local gun place and bought Winchester 64 gr power point ammo and do not have that problem anymore. As for distance I would think 300 yards should not be a problem, maybe 400 if there are no obstructions in view.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think bullet weight is as important as jacket construction with the .22-250 bullet. My experience is that the 55 grain R-P bullet does OK and the 60 grain Hornady bullets I've used in the past were excellent for deer hunting. I've noticed that the current Hornady 60 grain bullets are called V-Max, and I'm not sure if they now have a lighter jacket or not. I loaded some Nosler 60 grain Partition bullets, but they were not as accurate as other bullets in my current rifle, a late 60's vintage Reminton 700. They would have been OK for the ranges I deer hunt at and I carried my rifle loaded with them, but never shot at a deer. They should be effective, though. I have used the 70 grain Speer bullet before and killed deer with them and cleaned a couple other deer shot with them - my opinion of that bullet is that it is just a heavy varmint bullet. It will make soup out of everything in the chest cavity without leaving an exit hole or blood trail.

I'm a 40 year fan of the .22-250 and it is a pretty good deer rifle, but I recommend something a little heavier if you are looking at an opportunity to shoot a big deer in an area where trailing would be tough without a good blood trail.

Cedar Creek

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always had excellent luck with either handloaded 55gn Nos BTs or the Federal factory load with Sierra 55gn BTHP Gamekings. Shots have been out to 250 and there was no blood trail... More of a puddle since they were head shots.

The 63gn Sierra semi spitzer would be another bullet to look at. Its just a matter of whether or not your gun will stabilize the bullet, as most 22-250s have a factory twist of 1/14 and something a little faster would be preferable for heavier hunting, as opposed to light varmit bullets.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would check & see what your twist rate is, I bought my vlp with a 1:9 twist to shoot heavier bullets & it shoots better than I do, just printed a 3/4 in group at 200 yrds with a 69g smk & varget. Also they come in a 1/12 twist. I have not been able to find any loaded 22-250 with a heavy bullet. If you reload you can try a number of combo's. I have had good luck with sierra 65 gr game king as well. My barrel is stamped 1:9 yours may be stamped too.
Just checked savage web sight it's a 1:12 acording to this http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/

If you reload try the 65 gr game king or 63 gr

but to answer the original question 300 no problem 400 if you have a good bullet & accuracy

Comte DeLoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a savage model 12 fv .22-250. I was wondering if any of you guys or gals deer hunt with a .22-250? Also what is the effective range for long distance shooting with one and the best ammo to use while deer hunting with it? If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated!!

That caliber is far to light to reliably take deer at any range. Its classifed as a varment (small game) gun. You need at least .243 winchester before you start getting into the deer sized game.

OKMike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the caliber will work with the correct bullet if you are a very good marksman and place your shots well, I personally would use something bigger but I know of a lot of deer killed with a 223 or 22-250.

Latest posts

Top Bottom