.22 as a CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Automag .22 mag, and thought it might be acceptable as a CCW if nothing else is small enough to fit the pocket. I've seen the damage and pentetration of the .22mag, and it can be extensive. Even read a gun mag the other day that adressed the same situation, and commented that 10 low recoil controlled rounds from a .22 might be as good if not better than one round from a short barelled .45. I can see both side of the theory, and maybe a .22 mag would be better than a LR?

I'm just hanging this out there for discussion.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_automag.jpg

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never as a primary. I used to carry a Beretta 21A as a backup, but that was before the days of the ultralight and compact .32's and .380's.

It's more that I don't trust rimfire ignition to be 100% than the .22 Mag being insufficient.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never as a primary. I used to carry a Beretta 21A as a backup, but that was before the days of the ultralight and compact .32's and .380's.

It's more that I don't trust rimfire ignition to be 100% than the .22 Mag being insufficient.

Never as a primary in my case either, but seeing what the .22 mag does to flesh in a coon or coyote.....

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bigger holes = more bleeding.

22LR or 22 Mag may eventually be lethal, but so much of self defense is neutralizing the threat as quickly as possible.

I have a textbook on Gunshot Wounds that describes a situation where a crackhead thief broke into a house, was shot several times by the homeowner armed with a 22LR, was run off as a result, and returned to his home to crash on his sofa to sleep it off; only to die overnight as a result of bleeding internally. The Police found his shoes kicked off next to him, and a hamburger wrapper wadded up in one of the shoes...

If I pull a gun, I want some certainty that the ballistic energy available will reprioritize the threat either by dropping him in place or otherwise slow and stop his progress toward me or a loved one. 22LR or 22 Mags just don't inspire confidence to that end.

I'm not an LEO, I have had no training, nor am I particularly educated on the subject... but the conclusion that bringing any gun is better than being caught with no gun, and a bigger caliber is better than a small one makes good sense to me...

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a big long response written up but after going back and reading it I decided that a rock is better than a feather in a fight so if it is all you have then use it.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
22mag is a nasty round. A guy I know had an accidental discharge with one, boy it tore some gaping holes through several objects/walls. With any good JHP I wouldn't be afraid of carrying one.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.22 can kill you just as dead as anything else, if it is all you have then by all means carry it until you can get something with more stopping power. But make sure that any firearm you carry you have the ability to shoot it with accuracy. That you can clear any malfunction, reload, draw, and manipulate any safety quickly and by second nature.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Grendel made a 22Mag pistol called the P30, and the magazine held 30rds of 22Mag.

Lemme tell you, if 30rds don't do it, it's not gonna die.

Ugly old gun though
ajtjersey.com_Grendel_GrendelP30.jpg

Of course, George Kellgren went on to make different stuff.

Apparently Grendel was in the same city as EAA. Might explain why they never had any success.

Latest posts

Top Bottom