.22 revolver which one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We recently had a derelict try to get into our house during the middle of the day. The guy did not ring the bell or knock and tried to force the door. 911 had cops in the neighborhood in 4-5 minutes and they stopped him. He told the cops he was going door to door selling a cleaning product that was in a squirt bottle. Cops said the stuff in the squirt bottle was bleach or ammonia and he probably planned to squirt it into the faces of dogs and/or victims. They could not arrest him as he had done nothing wrong when they stopped him so he got a stern warning and was released. He was on foot, he had nothing to sell other than the bottle in his hand and his buddy in the car disappeared when he saw the cop cars.

My wife has a fear of firearms but she is now interested in learning to shoot. I want to start her on a low noise - low recoil gun and think a .22 LR revolver would be a good place to start.

Two questions; what would be a good “entry level” 22LR revolver for small hands.
Where in Tulsa is a good place to look for a 22 wheel gun?

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the best selection of .22 revolvers you'll find in Tulsa is Sportsworld. Good for her on having a desire to defend herself if needed.

She will hopefully love shooting a .22 revolver. They are great. I have a S&W model 34.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tulsa Gun Club has a "Beginner Handgun Clinic" on the 3rd Sat of each month. Very good clinic. $10 for about 3 hrs. We go over grip, stance, sights, breathing, follow thru and a lot more. 10 am to 1 pm.

I would highly recommend it for her or any new shooter.

Granted that a .22 due to low recoil is a good gun to learn on BUT I am concerned if a .22 would stop an agressor. Many posts say the smallest caliber they would consider for personal protection would be .380 or .38 caliber. For myself and my wife the smallest caliber i would trust with our lives is a .38 spcl in hollow point or +p.

I have read many posts that the tarus model 94 is having lots of problems. gun locks up and even when it is working very heavy trigger pull.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tulsa Gun Club has a "Beginner Handgun Clinic" on the 3rd Sat of each month. Very good clinic. $10 for about 3 hrs. We go over grip, stance, sights, breathing, follow thru and a lot more. 10 am to 1 pm.

Granted that a .22 due to low recoil is a good gun to learn on BUT I am concerned if a .22 would stop an agressor. Many posts say the smallest caliber they would consider for personal protection would be .380 or .38 caliber. For myself and my wife the smallest caliber i would trust with our lives is a .38 spcl in hollow point or +p.

I have read many posts that the tarus model 94 is having lots of problems. gun locks up and even when it is working very heavy trigger pull.

I agree with all that. Sounds like the OP is wanting to break in an otherwise reluctant shooter. For that a .22 is great and hopefully she'll be shooting larger calibers in no time.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I have a S&W 686 SS with a 4" in 357/38 that is in the nightstand but I think this gun will be too heavy to much recoil and to loud for a starter gun. I think after she gets familar and loses some of the firearm fear she will shoot it as the primary house gun. I am still trying to find a good 22 wheel gun that fits small hands.

Thanks for your responses and ideas.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a S&W 686 SS with a 4" in 357/38 that is in the nightstand but I think this gun will be too heavy to much recoil and to loud for a starter gun. I think after she gets familar and loses some of the firearm fear she will shoot it as the primary house gun. I am still trying to find a good 22 wheel gun that fits small hands.

Thanks for your responses and ideas.

Russ, What you need is either a K22/Model 17 or Model 18 S&W. It will have a trigger pull similar to your 686, the 17 is a 6" and the 18 is a 4". Both are on the K-frame, just a little smaller. Stay away from the J-frame guns in .22 for a beginner, trigger pull is to hard to master since its a coil spring operation instead of the flat mainspring of the K&L-frame guns. Both are alot lighter than your L-frame too. Stay away from the 617 series as they weigh more than your L-frame. You and her will both get hooked on the 14 or 18 S&W. Of course you can't get them new anymore, so you will have to get them used. Best place to find them is to post a request on the WTB forum or do a search on GunBroker. They won't be inexpensive, but not untouchable. You are buying top quality.

Latest posts

Top Bottom