.22 revolver which one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Russ, What you need is either a K22/Model 17 or Model 18 S&W. It will have a trigger pull similar to your 686, the 17 is a 6" and the 18 is a 4". Both are on the K-frame, just a little smaller. Stay away from the J-frame guns in .22 for a beginner, trigger pull is to hard to master since its a coil spring operation instead of the flat mainspring of the K&L-frame guns. Both are alot lighter than your L-frame too. Stay away from the 617 series as they weigh more than your L-frame. You and her will both get hooked on the 14 or 18 S&W. Of course you can't get them new anymore, so you will have to get them used. Best place to find them is to post a request on the WTB forum or do a search on GunBroker. They won't be inexpensive, but not untouchable. You are buying top quality.

Totally agree.

I have a S&W 18-4 and love it.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Tulsa Gun Club has a "Beginner Handgun Clinic" on the 3rd Sat of each month. Very good clinic. $10 for about 3 hrs. We go over grip, stance, sights, breathing, follow thru and a lot more. 10 am to 1 pm.

I would highly recommend it for her or any new shooter.

Granted that a .22 due to low recoil is a good gun to learn on BUT I am concerned if a .22 would stop an agressor. Many posts say the smallest caliber they would consider for personal protection would be .380 or .38 caliber. For myself and my wife the smallest caliber i would trust with our lives is a .38 spcl in hollow point or +p.

I have read many posts that the tarus model 94 is having lots of problems. gun locks up and even when it is working very heavy trigger pull.

i agree,the report from a short barreled 22 can be just about as much as from a 38.try some really mild loaded 38 and work up.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of buying a s&w revolver but my wife learned to shoot with a 38 s&w model 10 with a 4" barrel. As long as you have good hearing protection the recoil is pretty light. It was only 3 or 4 times out shooting when she started shooting my model 19 357mag.:twocents:

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owed quite a few .22 revolvers. In the end they are fun guns for plinking and getting one started. Really even your cheap $150 to $200 .22 LR relovers will hold up a lifetime since there not a whole lot of recoil. I still shoot my dads RG from the mid 70's and it shoots good. If I were to get a revolver I'd get a cheaper one and save for the real gun she'll need soon. You can mix in the other gun with the .22. These name brand .22 are way too much since you could get a service caliber for about the same money.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
summit gun might have some rg's or something low end if you want to start there, on the other hand I think Academy carries the Heritage single action revolvers for around $150, that you can keep and enjoy.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me make a pitch for a relatively expensive ($600 or so) but very high quality option.

My S&W 617 (4", 10-shot stainless K-frame) is one of my most shot handguns. Thousands of rounds through it. I have had excellent experiences introducing beginners to shooting with this revolver. One lady asked me to write down the make and model number for her because, she said, she was going to go out and buy one of these things for herself.

It's not a teeny-tiny gun, but it's well balanced and will usually have a nice trigger. If you can get past the mental block some new shooters have that only teensy, lightweight guns are appropriate for beginners (the opposite is closer to the truth!) you both might really enjoy it. I know you did say she had small hands. Go to a gun store and have her try holding various .22 revolvers in her hand. Of course, you can play with the grip shape and size on S&W revolvers to some degree with aftermarket grips.

The 617 would be a perfect companion/practice piece for your 686, too, by the way...

Otherwise, if you go for a small revolver (J-frame), stick with a stainless steel, not aluminum frame for a beginner's practice gun. S&W is making some versions of the 63 (stainless .22 J-frame) right now that are pretty nice.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Russ:

I understand what you are telling me. i agree a bunch. Good luck in finding that .22. I have been looking on gunbroker myself for a cheap .22 and i have not found very many. i think they are popular now and priced accordingly.

if u find some good guns for good price keep me in mind.

good luck and enjoyed talking to you.

superA

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Try to get her shooting more than a 22, but only as she feels ready. Feeling comfortable with your gun in the situation is far more important I feel than the caliber. I have recently had to put down two dogs from living in the country and one shot to the head with the 22 will put them down on the spot. All I can get my wife to shoot is the 10/22 but I don't worry about it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom