.22 Semi Auto Pistol advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Ruger is probably the most reliable/forgiving. It's definitely the most solid. If I was going to only buy one, it would be the Ruger.

I really like the ergonomics of the Browning, and I'll pick one up eventually. It may get bumped for a stainless Ruger (mine's blued) or a S&W22A.

I'd really like the S&W41, but I can't see spending a grand on one.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love my Neos. I've never owned a Buckmark but I have owned a Ruger MKII and I prefer the Neos. It eats all ammo I've tried and is simple to field strip and clean.

I agree. My NEOS seems to digest the bulk .22 bricks quite well. Also, the quick release barrel makes cleaning a snap. It's probably not as accurate as the Ruger, but mine is still a very accurate pistol.

If you go with the NEOS, go ahead and order a set of the interchangable colored rear and front sights. Very cheap, and a lot easier to see than the stock sights.

sajeantet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a ruger MKI special target edition that my grand dad bought in '68 and it will eat anything and shoots some really tight groups. I would look on gunbroker and pick one up off of there.

orangpowr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a couple of Ruger's a Mk I and a Mk III love them. Have a Colt single action in 22lr and 22mag my son's favorite to shoot. My babygirl has a Walther P22 and a Ruger Charger, the Ruger Charger is fast becoming my favorite gun to shoot.

Jholmes

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Browning Buck mark is a GREAT gun. I bought one to teach the wife and kids to shoot. I take it to the range every time I go and wind up shooting it more that any of my others. It is very accurate and eats any ammo that I feed it! It is one of my favorite guns!!

You will not be sorry if you buy one.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The Ruger series will serve you well, I have to agree that they are a PITA to takedown for proper cleaning, yet my fix for this is to spray the insides with carbon cleaner, let it sit for a day in a plasit bin with the lid on it, and blow it out with an aircompressor the next day and clean as usual without tearing it down. Now my favorite .22lr is a Walther/Manuhin PPK/s, they are expensive, but a joy to shoot, and easier than any of the ones listed to take apart to clean.

ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_203_DSCN0402.jpg

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's really hard to beat a Browning anything, I have had a few Rugers and they are great by and large but if you are unlucky enough to get one that jams like I have you might as well throw it in the river.

okie shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have four ruger 22 pistols, they are really well built, my first one is a mk 1 target made in the mid sixies, have put thousands of rounds thru it, still functions like a champ, have a mk II ten inch, a goverment mkII and a MKII short barrel target, abet all target models. A bit troublesome to reassemble with the tricky main spring setting and such, but guns to give to your grandchildren

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I vote for the Browning.

I haven't shot the Neos but I've shot the S&W 22a, Rugers, and Walthers the Buckmark is my fav.

Evan

Latest posts

Top Bottom